Just Got a (True) Siamensis

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

franmorr1966

Re: Just Got a (True) Siamensis

Post by franmorr1966 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi, yes, mine are the exact same as the above. I have a link at the bottom of my post which shows my SAE. It has the extended black line into the tail fin. So it's not a Flying Fox.

I'm debating what I want to do about getting more. It's good to know that I can house a group together. I was thinking of just getting two more--3 in all. But you know what they say--"two's company three's a crowd". Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

Fran

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Fran , just a bit curious as to your definition of a Flying Fox ?the fish we refer to as the Flying Fox is E.kalopterus which also has the lateral band extending through the middle of the caudal fin !

Perhaps you mean Gara Cambodgiensis sometimes refered to as an algae eater , a Fox like fish that has a dark lateral band that ends at the caudal penduncle ?

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:25 pm

My definition of a Flying Fox is simple. The fish that looks like an SAE except it has pale yellow fins and the black stripe along the length of the body stops at the base of the tail rather than continue through the tail fin. I don't know of a F.F. whose black stripe extends into the tail fin.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Mine are probably the most peaceable fish I've ever kept. I've seen more aggression in baby guppies.

The standard advice is to get the upgrade before you get the fish - you never know what circumstances might arise that prevent you from getting the new tank. I'd probably succumb and get two tiny ones if I saw them in a shop.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks, Dave.

I'm still thinking about adding just one more. The one I have now is just starting to get longer than the female cherry barbs. That's how small I purchased it as.

Fran