angel fish fighting

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chris brown

angel fish fighting

Post by chris brown » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi i have 3 angel fish in my 700l tank, 2 of them have paired up and have layed eggs and the male has fertilized them but two days later they were gone and another two days after that the male was attacking the female till she was near dead so i separated them, since then the other angle has decided to attack her too so i have now separated them 2.
Is there a resin for them fighting ?

I have asked my crap pet shop and they seed it was because it is spring and it is matting season but i thought fish breed all year round?

will they be ok together again?
will i have to sell 2 of them?
will adding more spread the aggression?

any help would be great
thanks chris

chris brown

Re: angel fish fighting

Post by chris brown » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 am

its ok the female angel died over the weekend as i was away on hoilday the other 2 are ok together now

raedeon

Post by raedeon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:55 pm

I think that's how angels mate. http://angelfish.info/spawning/index.htm has some good info about angels mating
21 Sids :o

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 am

That is common behaviour for angels, which is why it is important to keep at least 6 together (or keep them on their own, which is not as nice). It is never a good idea to keep 2-5 angels together unless a mated pair which is on good terms with each other is kept together.

You should be able to increase your group to at least 10 angels if your aquarium is 6 ft or longer, you rearrange everything right before adding the new ones and if the new ones are roughly the same size as the existing ones.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:39 pm

The female fish died so now its just 2 males which seem to get on very well now.

The 2 angles and 4 small discus will be going into a smaller tank soon as i am building a new tank for my clown loaches and current will be a bit much for these guys.
I wont be planning on getting anymore angles or discus.

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:32 am

chris brown wrote:The 2 angles and 4 small discus will be going into a smaller tank soon as i am building a new tank for my clown loaches and current will be a bit much for these guys.
From my experience with angels and from what I have seen of discus, you are almost guaranteed to have problems with those numbers, especially in a smaller tank.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

chris brown

Post by chris brown » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 pm

KittyKat wrote:
chris brown wrote:The 2 angles and 4 small discus will be going into a smaller tank soon as i am building a new tank for my clown loaches and current will be a bit much for these guys.
From my experience with angels and from what I have seen of discus, you are almost guaranteed to have problems with those numbers, especially in a smaller tank.
ok thanks for your advice i will keep an eye on them and if i have any trouble the angels will be sold and ill buy more discus. how many would u recomend and whats the smallest tank they will be happy with

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:14 am

chris brown wrote:ok thanks for your advice i will keep an eye on them and if i have any trouble the angels will be sold and ill buy more discus. how many would u recomend and whats the smallest tank they will be happy with
6+ individuals of either species, and at least a 4*2*2 ft tank for either species (although I would personally be happier with a 5-6+*2*2 ft tank. The 2 ft for height is very important as both species can grow very tall, the 4 ft so they can get out of the way if one starts being arsy with the rest (longer tanks help more).
Kat