witch is best sand or gravel ?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KittyKat

Re: witch is best sand or gravel ?

Post by KittyKat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:17 am

jordan wrote:
zenins wrote:
starsplitter7 wrote:But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the impeller to be damaged.
Good point, I usually have a sponge slipped over the filter intake as a pre-filter to make sure sand does not get sucked into the filter/impeller ... :wink:
sponge slipper ? whats that
This usually works only for external filters: just some filter sponge (like this: http://www.google.com/search?q=filter%20sponge ), get a block/cube of it, cut a hole into the middle and place over the filter intake.
For internal filter, it would be better to line the inlet slots with filter wool on the inside and remove it after the sand has settled.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 am

You go to a pool supply store and ask for pool filter sand. They sell it in 50# bags. You can buy sponges that fit over intakes for power filters. You slide that over the intake of the filte rto prevent sand from going into the intake.

Youcan turn off the filter and you can also add water away from the filter.

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 am

kittykat i get you now lol dont talk about exsternal filters lol my messed up the other day god knows whats wrong with it its a tetra ex 600 i cleaned it out ect so when i cleaned it i plugged it back in and for some ression it wont seem to suck the water up to get the flow goin i keep pressing the button loads of times and nothing so iv had to put a internal filter in intill i can afford another exsternal one iv e-mailed tetra got nothig back from them (sigh)

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 am

starsplitter7 oh rite nver heard of that lol iv always just put sand in and turend the filter on are theys all new ways to do it or somthing lol i think im still old fashioned haha

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 pm

jordan wrote:
zenins wrote:
starsplitter7 wrote:But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the impeller to be damaged.
Good point, I usually have a sponge slipped over the filter intake as a pre-filter to make sure sand does not get sucked into the filter/impeller ... :wink:
sponge slipper ? whats that
I use one of two things.
If it is a small intake, Like a powerhead or small AquaClear filter, I use an AquaClear sponge ( cut a slit in it and slip it over the intake ) about 2 inches square and 3 inches long.
If it is a larger intake, like on a canister filter, I use bulk foam blocks purchased at my Local Fish Store, about 3 inches square and 4 inches long.
If I think about it later tonight, I will take a few photos ...
Zenin

jordan

Post by jordan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:00 am

thanks that would be verry helpfull lol

zenins

Post by zenins » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Here are some examples of pre-filter sponges:

On a power-head intake:

Rena XP2 intake in a sand bottom tank, also helps to keep out plant debris:

Rena XP3 intake:

Another Rena XP3 intake:

Eheim 2213 in a sand bottom tank:

Turns out that I don't have any with AquaClear sponges anymore, their yellow colour eventually turns brown,
but I like the black sponges anyways :wink:

I use long scissors to cut a slit in the top of the sponge deep enough to cover the intake strainer ... hope this helps :)
Zenin

jordan

Post by jordan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 am

zenins wrote:Here are some examples of pre-filter sponges:

On a power-head intake:

Rena XP2 intake in a sand bottom tank, also helps to keep out plant debris:

Rena XP3 intake:

Another Rena XP3 intake:

Eheim 2213 in a sand bottom tank:

Turns out that I don't have any with AquaClear sponges anymore, their yellow colour eventually turns brown,
but I like the black sponges anyways :wink:

I use long scissors to cut a slit in the top of the sponge deep enough to cover the intake strainer ... hope this helps :)
oh thats cleaver lol i would never think of doin that and i love your fish there lovely look really healthy and happy what filter do you use as i use a tetra ex 600 in my 4ft tank but its brock i think so i kneed a new filter

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 am

In my opinion gravel is better looking but sand is better for the fishes themselves :?
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8