witch is best sand or gravel ?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

witch is best sand or gravel ?

Post by jordan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm

what does everyone think is the best for freshwater tropical fish sand or gravel ????

iv always had sand for my tropical fish becouse i think is easyer to clean as you can suck the sand up but i was thinking witch is the best for fish

glenna

Re: witch is best sand or gravel ?

Post by glenna » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 pm

I have tanks with both, and each have their own positives and negatives.
I do not think there is one answer to your question.
I think gravel is easier to vacuum, and sand can get compressed and contain anaerobic pockets, which I have read can cause problems (though I have not experienced that directly).
I like BOTH types of tanks for different reasons. The tanks where I have fish that like to snuffle in the substrate for snacks are a great choice for sand, since they keep it aerated I have a tank with lovely little cores and the snootle around in the sand and enjoy keeping it open. Fast water flow tanks I think would do better with more stable substrate like gravel ( Hillstream type tanks )
glenna

jordan

Post by jordan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:20 pm

glenna wrote:I have tanks with both, and each have their own positives and negatives.
I do not think there is one answer to your question.
I think gravel is easier to vacuum, and sand can get compressed and contain anaerobic pockets, which I have read can cause problems (though I have not experienced that directly).
I like BOTH types of tanks for different reasons. The tanks where I have fish that like to snuffle in the substrate for snacks are a great choice for sand, since they keep it aerated I have a tank with lovely little cores and the snootle around in the sand and enjoy keeping it open. Fast water flow tanks I think would do better with more stable substrate like gravel ( Hillstream type tanks )
thanks for that glenna makes me think even more tbh lol i hae two clown loachs and 5 neon tetras and im goin to add more fish with them soon there in a 60 liter tank at the mo but i am goin to put them in my 4ft tank soon te clowns are only small at the mo thay have sand in there tank thay like to lay on it so im thinking maybe i should put sand in my 4ft tank as i dont think thay would be verry comfy laying on gravel

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 am

jordan wrote:what does everyone think is the best for freshwater tropical fish sand or gravel ????
I prefer sand because many fish will dig and some will even bury themselves in it, but most of the fish I keep exhibit this behaviour (for example, earth eaters and Mbuna). I usually try to choose the substrate by what the fish are found on in the wild so that it best matches their need. Having said that, I can't think of a single fish which actually *needs* large gravel (like Dorset pea), but there are some which benefit from large, smooth rocks as part of the substrate.
glenna wrote:[…] sand can get compressed and contain anaerobic pockets, which I have read can cause problems (though I have not experienced that directly).
I have only had this problem a handful of times in 15 years of almost every "natural" substrate imaginable, but this can easily be prevented by stirring or agitating the substrate once every week or two, I found that keeping Malaysian trumpet snails will also prevent this problem, as keeping fish that dig. On the other hand, as long as the pockets are not disturbed, they do not pose a threat, but given that I keep all my tanks planted, I can't see how one can avoid disturbing the substrate occasionally. I also found that the problem is equally as likely to occur in fine gravel and can also occur in large gravel. It does predominantly occur in deeper substrate beds (2 inches / 5 cm or deeper). I think the biggest reason that it is more noticeable in sand substrates is that it sand never gets vacuumed, whereas gravel does, which has the same effect as agitating it by hand would.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:34 am

KittyKat wrote:
jordan wrote:what does everyone think is the best for freshwater tropical fish sand or gravel ????
I prefer sand because many fish will dig and some will even bury themselves in it, but most of the fish I keep exhibit this behaviour (for example, earth eaters and Mbuna). I usually try to choose the substrate by what the fish are found on in the wild so that it best matches their need. Having said that, I can't think of a single fish which actually *needs* large gravel (like Dorset pea), but there are some which benefit from large, smooth rocks as part of the substrate.
glenna wrote:[…] sand can get compressed and contain anaerobic pockets, which I have read can cause problems (though I have not experienced that directly).
I have only had this problem a handful of times in 15 years of almost every "natural" substrate imaginable, but this can easily be prevented by stirring or agitating the substrate once every week or two, I found that keeping Malaysian trumpet snails will also prevent this problem, as keeping fish that dig. On the other hand, as long as the pockets are not disturbed, they do not pose a threat, but given that I keep all my tanks planted, I can't see how one can avoid disturbing the substrate occasionally. I also found that the problem is equally as likely to occur in fine gravel and can also occur in large gravel. It does predominantly occur in deeper substrate beds (2 inches / 5 cm or deeper). I think the biggest reason that it is more noticeable in sand substrates is that it sand never gets vacuumed, whereas gravel does, which has the same effect as agitating it by hand would.
thanksfor that kittykat im deffo keeping with the sand i think it looks more natural anyways but just thought i would ask just encase there was something i was missing lol

zenins

Post by zenins » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:00 pm

I think pool filter sand is the best !

It is small, very clean ( minimal rinsing ) and inexpensive :)
The kuhli and horseface loaches keep the sand aerated :wink:
The corys and loaches have barbels around their mouths that can get damaged and red with coarse gravel ...
Zenin

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

zenins wrote:The corys and loaches have barbels around their mouths that can get damaged and red with coarse gravel ...
Actually, certain species of Corys have been known to prefer gravel when in the wild, choosing to stay in the gravely areas instead of sandy areas of the river, but it is true that most appear to have a preference for sand :)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 am

KittyKat wrote:
zenins wrote:The corys and loaches have barbels around their mouths that can get damaged and red with coarse gravel ...
Actually, certain species of Corys have been known to prefer gravel when in the wild, choosing to stay in the gravely areas instead of sandy areas of the river, but it is true that most appear to have a preference for sand :)
thank you all for replying back becouse there is so meany options i think i will have a little resertch on it as i dont want my bottom feeders to be unconfy i want them to be confy as can be once there in the new tank lol thanks all again you have been a big help

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 am

The other thing to consider with bottom feeders is that most foods will disintegrate quickly and can fall through gravel, polluting it, while they would sit on top of the sand comfortably.
Kat

jordan

Post by jordan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am

KittyKat wrote:The other thing to consider with bottom feeders is that most foods will disintegrate quickly and can fall through gravel, polluting it, while they would sit on top of the sand comfortably.
i have a tank cleaniner thing that sucks all the crap up from ou the sand so thats no problem with the polluting iv had plenty of tanks with sandn and he fih have lived for years kittykat but thanks for telling me :)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:39 pm

I use pool filter sand (it is not sharp, it is clean and it is cheap 50# for about $15). But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the inpeller to be damaged. I also have black, rounded gravel.

zenins

Post by zenins » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the impeller to be damaged.
Good point, I usually have a sponge slipped over the filter intake as a pre-filter to make sure sand does not get sucked into the filter/impeller ... :wink:
Zenin

Craig_

Post by Craig_ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm

I chose a #20 size silica sand for my new setup, has anyone had any pump ingestion issues with #20?

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:01 am

starsplitter7 wrote:I use pool filter sand (it is not sharp, it is clean and it is cheap 50# for about $15). But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the inpeller to be damaged. I also have black, rounded gravel.
whats pool filter sand ??? and how do i stop itfrom goinup the filter

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:02 am

zenins wrote:
starsplitter7 wrote:But you have to be careful adding water to the tank, so the sand doesn't get sucked into the filter, and cause the impeller to be damaged.
Good point, I usually have a sponge slipped over the filter intake as a pre-filter to make sure sand does not get sucked into the filter/impeller ... :wink:
sponge slipper ? whats that