neon tetras acting wierd anyone know why ????

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jordan

neon tetras acting wierd anyone know why ????

Post by jordan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:43 am

hi could anyone help me with my neon tetras behaver what it is i have this fake wood thing with a hole in it and one of my tetras seems to be verry territorial over it if my other neon tetras go ner it this one neon tetra who is territorial over it keeps chaseing them away sometimes he hangs out with one of the neon tetras and isnt so fussy with that one but them other times he chasers that one off too but im thinking maybe he gets mixed up and thinks that one is one of the others so does anyone know why hes like this???????? coulde he have babys around there or maybe one of them is expecting and thats where there goin to be ?

KittyKat

Re: neon tetras acting wierd anyone know why ????

Post by KittyKat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:58 pm

Neons are egg scatterers, so it's nothing to do with breeding behaviour. How many neons do you have and what other species? What are the dimensions of the tank?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:38 am

KittyKat wrote:Neons are egg scatterers, so it's nothing to do with breeding behaviour. How many neons do you have and what other species? What are the dimensions of the tank?

hi i have 5 neon tetras and two clown loatch in a two foot high too foot long and a foot wide like at the side the clown loach are only small at the mo and im planing on putting them all in my 4ft tank soon but there s plenty of room for them at the min

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 am

jordan wrote:hi i have 5 neon tetras and two clown loatch in a two foot high too foot long and a foot wide like at the side the clown loach are only small at the mo and im planing on putting them all in my 4ft tank soon but there s plenty of room for them at the min
I would put your problem down to having only 5 neons. I consider 6 fish to be the point where a group goes from "1", "2", "3", etc, to "many", and there is no excuse for keeping schooling species in groups smaller than 10, especially when one stocks a new tank. If you want to read more about my reasoning, see http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/ ... h-numbers/

So, my prescribed solution is to add another 5-10 neons (slowly, depending on what *you* feel comfortable with).

As for the clowns, unless they're only 1" long right now, they already should have a larger tank and a 4 ft is not big enough for the long term, given their potential adult size (yes, I have seen 16" clown loaches in person before, so that is what you should think of yours as when they grow up).
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

jordan

Post by jordan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am

KittyKat wrote:
jordan wrote:hi i have 5 neon tetras and two clown loatch in a two foot high too foot long and a foot wide like at the side the clown loach are only small at the mo and im planing on putting them all in my 4ft tank soon but there s plenty of room for them at the min
I would put your problem down to having only 5 neons. I consider 6 fish to be the point where a group goes from "1", "2", "3", etc, to "many", and there is no excuse for keeping schooling species in groups smaller than 10, especially when one stocks a new tank. If you want to read more about my reasoning, see http://aquariumadventure.wordpress.com/ ... h-numbers/

So, my prescribed solution is to add another 5-10 neons (slowly, depending on what *you* feel comfortable with).

As for the clowns, unless they're only 1" long right now, they already should have a larger tank and a 4 ft is not big enough for the long term, given their potential adult size (yes, I have seen 16" clown loaches in person before, so that is what you should think of yours as when they grow up).
yes know about the clowns thanks kat i dont kneed a lesion on them i have plans for them im getting a made tank for the future so we dont really kneed to talk about them its the neons i was on about not the clowns thanks anyways

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

jordan wrote:yes know about the clowns thanks kat i dont kneed a lesion on them i have plans for them im getting a made tank for the future so we dont really kneed to talk about them its the neons i was on about not the clowns thanks anyways
I wasn't trying to give you a lesson :) it's great that you have thought that far ahead, I only thought it was worth making extra sure as you only mentioned the 4 ft tank and I see people every day who say "I've got it sorted for the future", only to find out that they were talking about an upgrade from (I'm taking a random example from last week's posts on another forum) a 1 ft tank to a 2 ft tank for an oscar, instead of treating it as a temporary solution.

It would be great to know if adding more neons will help, if you decide to give it a go :)
Kat

raedeon

Post by raedeon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:43 am

Neon Tetras are a shoaling fish, not a schooling fish. 5-6 is about the minimum for Neons I think. I am currently down to 5 myself (from 12). Sometimes when they mate, the male will chase the female away. It could just be that your one neon is a jerk.
21 Sids :o

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:36 am

raedeon wrote:Neon Tetras are a shoaling fish, not a schooling fish.
My experience with neons has always been that they school (i.e. face roughly same way, as with most tetras) as opposed to only shoal (live in a group, for example, harlequin rasboras), are you saying this from your own experience or did you read this somewhere?

Note that most schooling species will exhibit shoaling behaviour in small tanks (IME, under 3 ft long for neons), without larger fish (cichlids, for example) and in small groups (IME, under 10). From what I have seen, the two words are also used relatively interchangeably and often an author will use one to mean either of the two. As far as I understand, all schooling fish are technically shoaling fish, but on top of shoal (spend their time in a group), they also school (face roughly the same way).
Kat

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:55 am

KittyKat wrote:
jordan wrote:yes know about the clowns thanks kat i dont kneed a lesion on them i have plans for them im getting a made tank for the future so we dont really kneed to talk about them its the neons i was on about not the clowns thanks anyways
I wasn't trying to give you a lesson :) it's great that you have thought that far ahead, I only thought it was worth making extra sure as you only mentioned the 4 ft tank and I see people every day who say "I've got it sorted for the future", only to find out that they were talking about an upgrade from (I'm taking a random example from last week's posts on another forum) a 1 ft tank to a 2 ft tank for an oscar, instead of treating it as a temporary solution.

It would be great to know if adding more neons will help, if you decide to give it a go :)
oh sorry then lol it just felt as tho you was getting on at me sorry again i wouldnt put them in any dangers and no im deffo getting them a bigger tank afte the 4ft tank becosue yes i dont agree with not haveing the rite stuff for you fish its not fair on them with all the stress ect if i couldnt get a bigger tank then i would sell them/ give them away but im deffo goin to buy a bigger tank bcouse i couldnt get ride of them inless i had no other choice but i would deffo never put them in danger of there health there only the size of little nail clippers that you get out of crismas crackers if you hav ever seen them lol there really tinny and i will see how the tetras go if thay are still the same or worse in a few more weeks then yes im happy to add a few more of them

jordan

Post by jordan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 am

raedeon wrote:Neon Tetras are a shoaling fish, not a schooling fish. 5-6 is about the minimum for Neons I think. I am currently down to 5 myself (from 12). Sometimes when they mate, the male will chase the female away. It could just be that your one neon is a jerk.
i know what you mean becouse mine of te same sometimes thay do stick together a lot so i know what kitkat means but i also get your point as well as mine do go diffrent ways as well there is always a few of them that arnt together and i hope that there mateing will be nice to have some baby tetras will have to get one of them box things tho becouse im shure the clown loacs will eat the baby lol but im not getting my hopes up there probley just argueing lol