Tank setup help

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cinnamon.dragon

Tank setup help

Post by cinnamon.dragon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 am

I'm new to keeping my own fish and have only recently decided to set up a tank. I've seen a lot of "asian" community tanks which I think are beautiful, but I need help on how to set up, water levels and what the best fish are to keep. I can't find a lot of information, and I want it to be accurate - i'd hate it if the tank setup went horribly wrong.

Any ideas?

ClownLoachSharky

Re: Tank setup help

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Welcome, first of all, how big is your tank? That will decide the Fish. Also, do you want plants?
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

cinnamon.dragon

Post by cinnamon.dragon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:20 am

I'm planning on buying a 50 maybe 60 litre tank and I want some plants suitable for their natural habitat plus any other decoration suggestions would be helpful!

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:29 pm

you can add malaysian driftwood, crypt plants, hygrophillia polysperma/corymbosa, java fern, java moss, pebbles. The list goes on but these are some things i used for my asian tank which soon became a i dont care what plant i use tank but oh well. and fish, rasboras, barbs, danios, flying fox algae eater, kuhli loaches, dwarf loaches, gouramis, fighters.

that took a while to write on my ipad :D

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

and ph and hardness as low as it gets pretty much.

cinnamon.dragon

Post by cinnamon.dragon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:22 am

Thanks, that's a great help :D

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:02 am

your welcome.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am

Do you know about cycling the tank and what nitrogen cycle is? If you don't, let us know, and we'll explain this. If you do not cycle the tank, the fish will die.

glenna

Post by glenna » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:17 pm

My FAVORITE part about tank set up at this point in the hobby, is the planning.
...too many times have I gotten all excited and did things in a rush, only to regret a choice of decoration, plant or, even worse, a fish choice. I simply CANNOT take them back, so must find a way to keep all my fish. Thus, I have some "island of misfit toys" tanks (they are still very beautiful fish, just sort of grouped by compatibility, not aesthetics. At least the fish are happy and healthy, but do not all match and make a biotype theme, or anything so organized.
I think REALLY taking time to research what you want, how big it will get, how much upkeep it will take and getting the tank nicely cycled ahead of time is the key to a stress free start up.

Just look at Marcos amazing living room tank (the one from Brazil with those crazy clown loach paintings) for some real inspiration on how a great plan equals a great looking tank.
glenna