Rhinogobius aggressive ?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

joren

Rhinogobius aggressive ?

Post by joren » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am

Recently I purchased a group of 8 of these little guys.
At first they seemed calm and friendly like my other fish, after a closer view you could immediatly tell that they are anything but shy however.
Having them a few days I start noticing them being a little aggressive though, attacking some of my other fish (nannostromus marginatus).
(The bigger fish like regular ancistrus, ... and the corydoras pygmaeus however are left alone)

I do understand that some aggression contributes to the normal tanklife but the that makes me actually worried is the fact that I notice them killing my beloved assassin snails.
Has anyone of you guys noticed rhinogobius sp. killing snails or attacking fish in an aggressive way because intenet states them being friendly towards other fish.

* Sorry for the bad written language, it has been a while since I last wrote something in English :?

plaalye

Re: Rhinogobius aggressive ?

Post by plaalye » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

Which species of rhinogobius is it? Some are very aggressive and will eat anything that will fit in their mouth.

joren

Post by joren » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm

They were listed Rhinogobius sp. but the names at the fishshop where I got them are not always the wright ones.
They look like the common Duospilus or a similar kind of Rhnogobius to me.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Any chance of posting a picture? Do you have another tank where you can put your assassins until you figure it out?

Because I am nosey :), where are you from? I am German living in Florida.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Have a look here Joren.

http://ferraqua.de/

joren

Post by joren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:02 am

Some photo's ( not great,I know :( ) :

@starsplitter7 : I'm from Belgium :wink:

For the moment I'm leaving them in the tank since it actually was one time that I saw one attacking a snail and the has survived it.
They also don't attack the other fish anymore, I'm guessing it was a more defensive atitude as they were only two days in the tank yet.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

thats a sweet bristlenose pleco you got there
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

joren

Post by joren » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:32 pm

ClownLoachSharky wrote:thats a sweet bristlenose pleco you got there
Since today he's guarding eggs btw :wink:

Batch

Post by Batch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Most gobies are at least somewhat aggresive. I've kept Rhinogobies with larger loaches (yo-yos) and Barbs. Putting them in with pencil-fish??
Not sure the gobies can catch them... Snails/shrimp are likely food for these guys.

batch

Ferrika

Post by Ferrika » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 am

I know, this Post is a little bit older, but I want write something about this Rhinogobius, because they are not on my site until today.

This Species are R. ponkouensis. In my they wasn't more aggressive than other species into the duospilus-similars. But one of my users from Grundelforum reported that they were also very aggressive with him. They even have bitten out an Oryzia an eye. Why they are so aggressive in some cases, however, I know not yet.

Greetings

Jutta