Re: Old fart rant / prices :)

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Marc999

Post by Marc999 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Is it just me, or have I been out of touch for awhile on the general price increase of all freshwater species across the board: inflation / limited supply? I live west of Toronto,Canada.

I went to 3 pet stores yesterday [2 chains, 1 independent] and I was astounded by the prices of most fish. For example, one store had Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish for 7 bucks each. Yikes.
Most bread & butter characins such as tetras were over $3.00 each. Whereas many mbuna cichlids which I haven't kept in years seem to be minimum $8-10+/each. Central/South American's were min. $10/each as well, for small ones. With few exceptions such as Convict Cichlids, less than $3.00/each, likely because they breed like rats.
Excuse my old man rant, I was fairly surprised, since my last purchase was over a year ago for yoyo loaches which were quite cheap at the time.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:54 pm

My best recommendation would be to join a fish club. My club has auctions every month where we can bring home bags of fish for a few dollars. I don't know about Canada, but in the US, our economy is such a mess that the prices of everything is up. Many people are giving up their tanks, because they can not afford pets at this time.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am

Don't take this the wrong way, but we were paying those same dollar amounts back in the late 80's when I first started keeping fish. Now figure for inflation and the exchange rates between the US (where I am) and Canada, and you realize that fish are a LOT cheaper now than they were 25 years ago.
In fact, it seems kind of odd that the pricing has stayed about the same all these years: $3-10 depending on species and size. I'm not complaining, that's for sure. :D

zenins

Post by zenins » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:41 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:My best recommendation would be to join a fish club. My club has auctions every month where we can bring home bags of fish for a few dollars.
Good suggestion :)

West of Toronto, there are clubs in Brampton, Hamilton, Brantford, Kitchener-Waterloo and London.

Where abouts are you and where have you been looking for fish, maybe I can help ?
Zenin