Stiphodons and powerheads

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shuwae

Stiphodons and powerheads

Post by shuwae » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:51 pm

So I bought some stiphodon percnopterygionus a few days ago and have them in a quarantine tank. In my main tank where I plan to put them, I have two Koralia powerheads. I'm kind of worried the perc. will get killed when they go near the koralias as they look small and slim. I had adult shrimps that were ok in the tank but the perc. are smaller in size than the shrimps. I don't want to lose any percs. to the powerheads. I don't like adding mesh to the koralias as stuff get stuck and clogs the powerhead easily. I've found that my fish like to go near the powerheads and rest/search for food. I have one powerhead near the top and one near the bottom of the tank. Will the stiphodons be smart enough not to go near the powerheads?

plaalye

Re: Stiphodons and powerheads

Post by plaalye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I'd be worried too shuwae. I have several sp. of stiphodon, though not s. perc. If it were me I'd change the koralias out for typical powerheads with sponge pre-filters. You may never have a problem but i wouldn't chance it. They'll graze aufwuchs anywhere it exists.