my new moray eel

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

murry the moray

my new moray eel

Post by murry the moray » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:16 pm

hello to all. i have been away for a while but this site has been so helpful to me in the past, i thought i would come back and showoff my new moray eel.
he is about 15 inches long, and he shares the tank with a flying fox and some long finned minor red tetras, and some neon tetras.
ok are you mad at me now....? i know a 15 inch eel eats fish my size....so i would have thought....but friendly pets in greensboro, nc did a great job of finding one that seems to like(well not mind) interaction with other fish, (i guess if he is fed well all is ok.)
it is kinda weird to have a fish that only wants eat once a week or so.
if anyone knows anything about moray eels please chime in.
thanks, joe
now how to post a photo.....

hx

Re: my new moray eel

Post by hx » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 am

Hi, Joe.

The first thing you will find out by doing a search on it's name, Gymnothorax tile, is that even though it's sometimes sold under the name "freshwater moray eel", it certainly is not freshwater.
It needs brackish to full marine conditions to thrive. If they are kept in fresh water, they often lose their appetite and almost always wither and die.

Your eel is a predator that will eat anything that fits in it's mouth and doesn't learn how to keep away from it's mouth. It's not the best hunter, so it might take some time before it catches small fish.

I've got one in a mid-brackish tank, SG around 1.010.

I agree on these morays eating only once or twice a week. But they are not regular. Once you give it the conditions it needs, be prepared to the fish fasting for a month, even two, seemingly for no reason. And then starting to eat again.
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank

murry the moray

Post by murry the moray » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:07 pm

thank yoy for the gtreat info. the pet store told me my tank was fine and that there are freswater eels. :evil: hum.... so i need to get rid of it or change my tank. i did internet searches and there is little info when i searched moray eel. i will search brackish tanks.
SG around 1.010.... is that salt content?
if i change my tank will the eel come out more or do they hide most of the time?
i was so excited but now i worry my eel is sufffering. :(

murry the moray

Post by murry the moray » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:13 pm

ok so i found info on what sg is (yea i was right) but what sg is safe for my other fish?

hx

Post by hx » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:10 am

Please do take a third and fourth opinion on the matter, my notes are just another angle.
Do a search with the scientific name of the fish, Gymnothorax tile. Add "care" and you will find quite a lot of info.

A short but informative caresheet: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/gymnothorax-tile/

These eels are what they call "sit-and-wait"-predators. They like to hang out in a secure place, with their heads sticking out and wait for suitable food to pass by within their reach. A tube/pipe about twice the size (diameter) of the eel is a great place to hide and do this.
They are mostly active at night, but given a nice hardscape to feel safe and dim lighting, show their faces during the day, too.
Correct water conditions most likely help achieving this also.

As to the other inhabitants of your tank, I have a feeling they are all strictly freshwater fish and will not appreciate salt in the water.
"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins
planethx
Mudskipper tank