Some Shrimps Photos to Share

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

aquariumlegend

Some Shrimps Photos to Share

Post by aquariumlegend » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:04 am

starsplitter7

Re: Some Shrimps Photos to Share

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:33 pm

There are quite a few people on this forum who love shrimp. Thanks for sharing. What are the black and white ones?

I keep cherries, bamboos, amanos, . . .

Please post more pictures.

FishFanatic245

Post by FishFanatic245 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:44 pm

black and white ones are crystal black or black bee shrimp. same as the red and white ones (crystal red), but are actually the wild version as crystal reds are human breed, meaning they are not found in the wild but the black ones are.
I am a wildlife warrior, and i will fight, fight to the death for wildlife- Steve Irwin

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:58 pm

The shrimp are amazing. There's something with Florida water that makes leeping many of the shrimp very difficult. My Bamboos are almost two years old, same with the amanos. But I can't keep most of the really cool ones more than a month or two.

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:There's something with Florida water that makes keeping many of the shrimp very difficult.
My parents used to live in Florida.
When ever I visited them there, I did not drink the water, I did not like the sulphur or mineral taste, and in other parts of Florida,
the water seemed very soft, like rainwater, almost like the taste of R/O water.
I am used to hard water here, with its calcium compounds and high pH.
I think this is why shrimp keepers are so successful here, shrimp need the calcuim compounds to build their exo-skeleton.
I am not a shrimp expert, but I do keep crayfish, and they are frequently growing and shedding their exo-skeleton,
and growing new ones very quickly, a really good sign that they are happy with the water :)
Zenin

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Those shrimps look great.
I'm also thinking of adding some, probably Amano shrimps. It is true they are happy in an unheated aquarium? Has anyone here managed to breed them?

FishFanatic245

Post by FishFanatic245 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:06 pm

most people that keep shrimp in low calcium water will have either special food that will give the shrimp the calcium they need or they will put in a cuttlefish bone (the ones for birds) and this will give them the required calcium they need, also they will eat their own exo-skeleton for the calcium in it, so do not remove their exo-skeleton they are key to good natural groth, :D . but i agree with zenins most people with shrimp in south eastern/central canada have great success keeping shrimp for this reason. amano shrimp i have never had but i know that most people with dwarf shrimp do not need heated tanks as long as the room temp is around 75 df, i try to keep mine around 77 df as i prefer they have a warmer tank as they are right nest to a window, but as i said i do not have amano just cherries and crystals so i would take someone elses answer. i am pritty sure that amano shrimp need brackish water to breed, they will breed in full fresh but the juviniles have a larva stage and need brackish water to fully develop, and without it they will die.
here is my cherry
i have had them for almost 2 months and they are doing great.
I am a wildlife warrior, and i will fight, fight to the death for wildlife- Steve Irwin

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Cuttlefish bone isn't a problem as I have one lying around oddly enough. That can't pollute the water in some way? I just cut off a little piece and the shrimps will feed on it?
I've read that Amano shrimp larvae require brackish water to grow into young shrimps. Found this intriguing video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg11f4wC49Q.
Love that picture; so the shrimps climb / swim about then.

FishFanatic245

Post by FishFanatic245 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:33 pm

one of the guys that keeps shrimp in the area that i live in just has a piece hanging in the tank, just break a small piece off (about the size of a quarter), it will float for a few days but will eventually sink, then you can put it some where unintrusive, the shrimp and if you have snails and any thing else that needs calcium will graze on it. do not use to much as it will raise the gh and can cause molting problems (has to be really high to cause any problems) but only in a large quantity and without frequent water changes. it is not harmful at all and is beneficial in small quantities. try 1 inch square per every 10 gallons.i do not personally use it, my water has plenty of calcium and i feed them a specialized shrimp food that gives them calcium and other minerals that they need.

FishFanatic245

Post by FishFanatic245 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 pm

also, do you have a package for the bone? if so make sure that the company did not add anything extra that you may not know about.

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks, the cuttlefish bone is from the sea. I live not far from the coast and find them fairly regularly washed up. Probably I'll go and find a new one and wash it at home.
That's great advice about what to do with it. If I get some shrimps I'll try that as my water isn't hard.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 pm

Since cuttlefish bones is usually sold for birds to eat, they usually don't have anything bad added. I use them in my tanks along with calcium tablets.

I have no problems with crawdads, cherries, amanos and Bamboos, but fancy shrimp don't make it longer than 2 months. That is a bummer.

I love inverts. I have a hard time keeping snails too.

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:36 pm

By the way, I bought 15 cherry shrimps and they settled nicely into my aquarium.
After I put in my heater and rose the temperature I found they had bred and many of the young survived even though I have fish in the tank. I now have 30 or 40. Later I took out the heater yet still seem to find a couple of tiny new shrimps with the temperature only at 21/22 celsius.
They are marvelous at finding bits of pellets stuck amongst gravel and stones that the fish don't find.
Only one died after crawling into the filter pump. So try to cover up all possible entrances with a stocking or something.
Fascinating creatures and such wonderful swimmers!