Do I have enough room for these Cory Cats?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pinkie Pie

Do I have enough room for these Cory Cats?

Post by Pinkie Pie » Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi!
I was wondering if someone can tell me if I have enough room for these Cory cats. I plan to get a few corys for my tank. I currently have 4 clown loaches that are the only inhabitants at the bottom. My tank is 100 gallons with lots of hiding places.

If yes, can someone recommend me a species of Cory Catfish?
I was leaning towards panda cory's or cory's that stay small not like Emerald Cory.

DainBramage1991

Re: Do I have enough room for these Cory Cats?

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm not sure if you have room for a few cories or not, as you didn't state how many and what kind of fish are in the tank other than the clowns. You need to account for the entire fish load in a tank, not just at the strata occupied by the fish you are interested in.

If your tank is lightly stocked, then a group of 6 or 8 small cories won't be a problem. If heavily stocked, adding more fish will only cause problems.

As for what kind of cories, go to your LFS and pick out the ones that catch your interest.

Diana

Re: Do I have enough room for these Cory Cats?

Post by Diana » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Do some research and get the Cories that will handle the warm tank the best.
Be prepared to separate the fish. Clown Loaches get a lot larger, and as a general guide it is better not to put large fish and small fish in the same tank.
I would not add more bottom fish to a tank with Clown Loaches. I would add some interest higher up in the tank.

Get another tank for Cories, probably a cooler water tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!