Super Glue is really safe???

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

FranM

Super Glue is really safe???

Post by FranM » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 am

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-4g-U ... c2Cf5yOl3c

For example the above bought from a Home Depot is safe for the aquarium? I plan to glue either acrylic or glass. Is the above a good option?

Any tips on drilling holes through glass or acrylic without breaking the glass or showing shatter lines through acrylic?

Thank you.

Fran

Sadielynne

Re: Super Glue is really safe???

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:57 pm

I am not sure what you are using the glue for, but my suggestion would be to use silicone. Super glue wold be quite dangerous and will not hold when continually wet, I don't believe.

sami125

Post by sami125 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Any tips on drilling holes through glass or acrylic without breaking the glass or showing shatter lines through acrylic?

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Sami125, I would go to a glass shop and get advice from those people. A special drill bit would be needed.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Super Glue is safe inside the aquarium for attaching plants to driftwood or rocks, and I think marine people use it to attach fragments of coral to rocks.

It is NOT a structural adhesive. I have seen plants come unstuck when they had been originally superglued in place. Usually this is not a problem because the root themselves on and it does not matter if the super glue only holds for a couple of months.

I do not know if it will stick to acrylic. Not many things do.

If you are building or repairing a glass tank, use the right silicone. If you are building or repairing an acrylic tank use the right product that melts the acrylic and makes it stick to itself. The process is more akin to welding than gluing.

There are special techniques and tools to use when drilling glass or acrylic. The methods are not the same, either.

Do some more research at sites that have a bigger DIY forum and I think you can find several threads that go into very good detail, with pictures and all.
I have done both.
Acrylic is pretty easy.
Glass is easy, but requires patience.

Since marine tanks are the ones most often drilled, maybe at one of those sites. (I do not know any)
I have seen such posts at planted tank forums like this one. Go to this site, and do a search using the terms 'drilling glass tanks' and 'drilling acrylic tanks'.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showt ... lass+tanks
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm

a DIY tank? The best thing I can tell you is to look at your local hardware store for bathroom glass sealant that does not contain anti-mold or fungus treatment. The mold and fungus treatments seep into the tank and are toxic to fish and other critters, including people to certain extents. You might have to ask which one is best because a lot of companies don't list that they use it anymore because it's become common place. Superglue is a poor choice for aquariums in general. It won't pollute the water, but it won't hold up for prolonged exposure to water. I'm sure you know the width requirements to your different sized tanks too, right? Drilling into glass is very hard and you shouldn't attempt it at home. The glass dust from cutting or drilling can result in fatality if inhaled, not to mention it would be the itchiest and most painful time of your life. Any hardware store that carries glass can cut the glass for you and I would strongly advise that you have the edges of the glass beveled for you as well. Yes, they can do that as well.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diytanksrefugiums/

This website has a HUGE encyclopedia of all things DIY for aquariums. Read up on this and you should walk away with everything you need to know.

Oh, and you can buy the adhesive the professionals use on eBAY, it's just really pricey.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 pm

When using silicone, use only silicone that is specifically made for aquariums. Your LFS should stock some. The household silicones that you buy at places like Home Depot aren't always aquarium safe, and most will say so on their labels.

Even aquarium silicone must be used in a well-ventilated area, because of the fumes. I would suggest a face mask designed to keep one from breathing those in.

-- Dojosmama

Direwolf82

Post by Direwolf82 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:24 pm

I could be wrong and if I am PLEASE let me know but super glue is a cyanoacrylate adhesive, very good for plastics, in fact I believe acrylic tanks are made using cyanoacrylate adhesives. obviously not super glue brand but similar if not same chemical makeup.
Can anyone verify that?
Having trouble sleeping so I looked around and yes super glue will bond acrylic (if building a tank I would use a more commercial grade like weld on) and others but will let go if one or both items being bonded is water permeable, basically the water gets under the glue and separates them. And yes super glue is non-toxic after it sets.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 am

Dunno if it is the same stuff, but the stuff sold for acrylic is available in a liquid (runs off the job site) and a thicker consistency. (Stays in place better).
Either way, it melts the acrylic enough that when you put the 2 parts together they become one. (in theory- in practice, well... practice!)

If the 'Weld On' (for acrylic) is the same as Super Glue (available in a gel form) then I guess it is OK to swap materials. Still, I think I would use the product recommended by the experts. I do not use either often enough to be more than 'home handyman' level of expert.

As for silicone for glass:
READ THE LABEL.
Mostly, the kitchen and bath products include mold inhibitors. The others do not.
Mostly, the ones you find in hardware stores do not want to go to the expense of testing and the liability of saying they work for aquariums. The products usually will work, though.
GE I is similar to DAP and was the preferred material, the last time I did any research.
GE II is similar to DAP PLUS and has mold inhibitors (I think- these were not the ones to use)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!