Glofish

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Babakapusta

Glofish

Post by Babakapusta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 am

I'm setting up a new tank. I told my grand-daughter that I wanted her to help me pick out some fish. I went to the pet store today and bought a filter. I saw some Glofish. They were striking. I 'm guessing they are either genetically altered, or dyed. I wouldn't buy a dyed fish and I can explain why. If these are genetically altered. If she wants some should I buy them?

Lupine

Re: Glofish

Post by Lupine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:37 pm

GloFish are GMO's. They were originally produced with the intent of using fluorescence as a bio-indicator of pollution. They have reduced reproductive potential as a result, I do not know about their lifespan, they haven't been on the market all that long. As for whether or not you should buy them, that is a matter of opinion. If you have a problem with GMOs, then clearly you should not. I will stay off my soapbox regarding our manipulation of other creatures for our own entertainment. Personally I think a "bio-tope" type aquarium would be a nice learning experience, unless of course you can explain the gene insertion science behind GloFish to your granddaughter! :wink:

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:24 pm

I don't know what GMO means and I'm not sure what a biotope aquarium would be. I'd love it if you would get on your soapbox and dish a little.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Sorry for the confusion. A GMO is a Genetically Modified Organism. Some people are afraid to eat food that has been genetically modified to make it more prolific or disease resistant. I personally don't have an issue with this. I do however have an issue with people modifying, thru gene insertion in a laboratory or thru selective breeding, to be "cute" or different, for our entertainment and to the detriment of the animal. If an animal can't reproduce on it's own, it probably shouldn't exist as a species/breed. English Bulldogs are a great example of this. It is a rarity for a pair to mate naturally (artificial insemination is required at least 90% of the time) and natural delivery is extremely rare. People that breed these dogs just accept that they will have to artificially insemenate and have a C-section. Then down the road the pups will, like their parents, probably need surgery to repair screw tail, stenotic nares and soft palate resectioning. I think what has been done with GloFish, Oranda goldfish, and Blood Parrot cichlids is the same thing. It's creating genetic defects that have a detrimental effect on the organism, and it's done because we like the way it looks.

Now on to a brighter subject. A Bio-Tope is an aquarium that represents a little slice of nature. It involves setting up a tank to mimic the fish's natural environment and including species that might be found together in their natural habitat. For example, a Lake Malawi bio-tope would include a sand substrate, rocks, no plants, hard water and cichid species from Lake Malawi. TO make a bio-tope, decide on a prImary FISH SPEcies you like (SOrry my keyboard shift key is sticking) RESeArCh IT online AND set up the taNk with native plaNTS ETC. I'm going tO stop Typing now thIS Is drIVINg Me crazy!

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 am

After I replied to your post I looked up biotope. I do have a biotope tank now for my tin foil barbs. It is pretty accurate for an Asian riverbed. There is an African cichlid vacationing there at this time. He's too mean to keep with any other fish. If he bothers the barbs they are so bad they send him scooting. After 5 years he's learned to behave around them. He's just a little guy about 4" give or take.

I'm like you. I think it is best to show your fish in its natural habitat. But what would be natural for a glofish? I thought you were telling me that I should make a biotope for them. I was trying to figure would that be a sterile laboratory tank, or Vegas. They are pretty and eyecatching. I like goldfish and when I have them I keep them in a kitchy tank that I let my kids set up complete with pirates and mermaids. I mean how can you do a biotope for an animal that has been bred in bowels for thousands of years?

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:56 pm

I totally get the kitschy tank thing, it's all just a matter of personal aesthetics. Personally I think it would be cute to have a "radioactive pollution" set up for the glofish since they were originally created to detect pollutants. If you could find some decor of radioactive barrels or some such, that would be awesome IMO :D

p.s.
I like the Vegas thing too!

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Maybe I can find some Homer Simpson stuff with those 3 eyed fish and stuff. That would be a hoot and a half.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 am

That would be great! :lol:

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:41 pm

I found out to make them glo you need a special light that ain't cheap! So much for them.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 am

Actually they are very brightly colored in regular light, and the "special" light is just a blacklight, you can buy one at walmart for around $10. You don't have to buy the high dollar LED light.

Babakapusta

Post by Babakapusta » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Lupine wrote:Actually they are very brightly colored in regular light, and the "special" light is just a blacklight, you can buy one at walmart for around $10. You don't have to buy the high dollar LED light.
Does a blacklight get hot? Years ago I cracked the glass on my light hood by putting a red light up there to see my fish at night.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 am

They should not get nearly as hot as the red ones, which as far as I know are also intended as heat lamps for reptiles. The blacklights should be a lower wattage than the red ones too, they come in 8W, 15W etc where the red ones are usually 75W or 150W so the blacklight bulbs run cooler due to their lower wattage. It probably wont get as warm as a regular fluorescent bulb. Beware there are cheap incandescent bulbs painted purple sold as blacklight bulbs, but they don't produce the actual ultraviolet wavelength that makes things "glow".