Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:01 pm

I put 3 small red serpae tetras in a tank with larger serpae, a couple of fruit tetras (fairly large), some neons, a glowlight tetra and 2 clown loaches. There is also a pleco that is 5-6" long (I think!). The new red serpae tetras went missing 2 days after introducing them in the 45 gal. tank. Several neons are gone, too. I know when fish die the others will eat them, but I didn't see a speck of anything from them!! Could the pleco have killed and eaten them, when they are resting at night??

kash123

Re: Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

Post by kash123 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I am glad that i had the fortune to stumble across your blog.This is better than other sites. Always so inteesting to visit your site. What a grat info thank you for sharing this will help me so much in my learning

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:50 pm

A pleco is a type of algae eater and aren't really carnivorous. However, they can and will try to eat the slime coat from your other fish, which can cause serious injury over time. I would check any ornaments you have in the tank. Very often, fish get inside of root set-ups or similar fixtures and don't come back out, some even getting lost or stuck. After checking all of the nooks and crannies, if you still haven't found them, I believe your suspects should be your very out numbered clown loaches. When not kept in proper groups of five or more, they can be very aggressive and attacks can lead to death.

Before jumping to that conclusion though, you should really be looking around in the tank. I've had fish crawl up into filtration systems as well.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

emeliafaith

Post by emeliafaith » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 am

Some writers make it difficult to understand the point they’re trying to get across. You, the other hand have made your points clear, concise and interesting.