Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I put 3 small red serpae tetras in a tank with larger serpae, a couple of fruit tetras (fairly large), some neons, a glowlight tetra and 2 clown loaches. There is also a pleco that is 5-6" long (I think!). The new red serpae tetras went missing 2 days after introducing them in the 45 gal. tank. Several neons are gone, too. I know when fish die the others will eat them, but I didn't see a speck of anything from them!! Could the pleco have killed and eaten them, when they are resting at night??

Karatepig

Re: Will a larger Pleco kill/eat smaller fish??

Post by Karatepig » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Sadielynne wrote:I put 3 small red serpae tetras in a tank with larger serpae, a couple of fruit tetras (fairly large), some neons, a glowlight tetra and 2 clown loaches. There is also a pleco that is 5-6" long (I think!). The new red serpae tetras went missing 2 days after introducing them in the 45 gal. tank. Several neons are gone, too. I know when fish die the others will eat them, but I didn't see a speck of anything from them!! Could the pleco have killed and eaten them, when they are resting at night??
I sincerely doubt it. Plecos are the most calm fish I've ever seen. I've never heard of them fighting with another fish, much less aggressively attacking or even eating.

gaiden

Post by gaiden » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 am

Some of the more carnivorous types of plecos will scavenge but I haven't seen them actively kill another fish. I would look at water quality however if you are losing fish, especially new additions.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:22 am

i think PART OF (MAYBE ALL) of the problem was with the way the person at Walmart was releasing new fish into the tanks!!!!!! You really do NOT want to hear what she was doing!!! I went to management and I truly hope that practice isn't continuing!!!!!!! I don't know if those little fish were new fish that came in the day I got them, but they could have been. I have gotten some more, from a different store, and they are doing fine, so far.

EXCEPT, I put a small red fin shark in that tank and he likes to chase them!! I may have to move him, so I don't have to worry any more!! The other tanks in consideration are one with angels, platys, swords, a couple of guppies, 2 corys and a pleco, (which probably doesn't need any more fish!) and the tank with the dwarf (4), a sunset and 3 blue paradise fish. So far they are doing good, and I worry the shark may be too active for them! Any thoughts?

Thanks a million!!

gaiden

Post by gaiden » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:16 pm

red finned sharks can be aggressive and boisterous, it's in their nature. How big are the tanks? How often do you do water changes? Water quality can certainly affect how a fish behaves. And if you have any other options I would never buy fish from a big box store like wal mart. Try to find a trustworthy local fish shop, even if you have to drive some distance, it will save you a ton of headaches.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

I understand your concern about the big box stores!! Sadly, there are 2 stores here, Walmart and Earl May. So it is "bad and badder"!! Believe me, I know, as I used to have a pet/fish store :cry: and they probably hate helping me because I can't keep my mouth shut!! :shock: It would be 2 hrs. to go to get to another good store - not feasible, for sure!

That being said, I should know way more than I do, but I am a bit rusty, after 22 yrs. of not having it! It breaks my heart that I sold it, but it was a bad time - my brother passed away and depression set in.

This is a 45 gal. tank, as are the other 4 that I take care of. 2 have goldfish in them and then the other 2 that I mentioned. I know the little stinkers will chase, but don't do much, other than that. I have wondered about bringing the glowlights home, until they get a bit bigger, or would they fair OK with the gouramis? That tank needs a little more "oomph" to it, I think!

The shark is the last one I put in the tank and there are some hiding places, but it could use some more plants, probably. the budget is pretty small, sad to say!

gaiden

Post by gaiden » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:20 pm

what kind of gouramis?

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm

3 Blue paradise, 4 dwarf and one sunset gourami. I am thinking the paradise would not be a good match??

gaiden

Post by gaiden » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:09 am

probably not, they can be aggressive and generally like cooler water than gouramis, the glowlights should be fine though.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Gouramis are not good tank mates with each other, or any of their relatives like Paradise fish.
Anabantoids are territorial and can get quite aggressive about defending their space. One per tank is a good guide.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!