Tank blowout waiting to happen?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Holdstrong

Tank blowout waiting to happen?

Post by Holdstrong » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Just recently moved and re-set up my 75g tank. While doing so, especially while leveling the tank in its new spot, I noticed a potential problem with my stand.

I have this Top Fin stand: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

Definitely not what I consider industrial strength! But it seems to have done the job over several years.

However, I did just notice that the top table surface of the stand has started to sag in the middle. The middle of the table surface is ever so slightly lower than the corners... kind of like what you would see on a cheap desk surface that is only supported on each end.

What this means is that the tank, when set on top of it, makes perfect contact on the 4 corners... but does not make perfect contact along the length of the sides. I can actually slide a piece of paper under the tank, between it and the stand, and run it back and forth until I get to a corner.

I've read and been told a lot of different things about how much support a tank of this size needs. But this makes me antsy. I worry about the stresses being put on the middle of the tank if it is not supported.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

The Angry Loach

Re: Tank blowout waiting to happen?

Post by The Angry Loach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 pm

My 30gal is on a steal frame model with a similar problem. Most tanks are built to support their own weight, but only to an extent. There's always the cardboard solution, but it can be unsightly. Layers of cardboard under a tank certainly don't mix well with water either if you're a messy filler like me. I spill everything. I wouldn't keep it like that if you don't have to. Getting a new one might be your best option. There are cheaper options than the pet store, however. I keep my 55 on a solid pine desk with a water sealed industrial top. That desk cost me $20 and supports the tank's weight and even my weight with out even the slightest of wobbles. If that's the route you want to take, I suggest taking several friends with you so you can all sit on the desk and wiggle back and forth. xD Works like a charm.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD