Is my tank cycled?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

k.jonesy

Is my tank cycled?

Post by k.jonesy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 am

ok so when i was starting out in the fish keeping area i had no idea the issues associated with cycling with fish. many of my loved fish were struggling or dying so desperately i ran to my local aquarium who gave me ammo lock. i added the ammo lock for a time and my fish got slightly better. now a few months later i assume my tank is cycled and i have happy fish, however, when i test for ammonia my levels are off the charts! i mean waaaay over 8ppm off the charts! my fish dont seem to be showing any signs of ammo stress though so could this high reading be due to the ammo lock? i was told it could cause false readings, or do i actually have extremely high ammo levels that i need to deal with NOW!? please help! i dont want to lose my beloved fish again!
Need to add that i upgraded from a 30L to a 60L tank just yesterday but used the same gravel, filter, driftwood etc and assumed i wouldnt have to re-cycle the new tank and because i assumed my tank was fine i bought new fish and stocked my tank!

TrebleClef84

Re: Is my tank cycled?

Post by TrebleClef84 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I find that if you bring the gravel and decorations to a new tank, the good bacteria bounces back after a day or so. There's usually a day or so where you have slightly cloudy water, which I believe is a sign that your good bacteria is in bloom. Then I think it goes clear again when levels are good.

If your tank isn't overstocked and you're doing water changes like you should, there shouldn't be a reason to use ammo-lock. My ammonia levels are at 0, and I've never used it. I would do a couple of water changes over the next couple of days without adding ammo lock and then test your ammonia levels so you don't have to worry about false positives.

If your ammonia levels are still high, order Dr. Tim's One and Only, which is fantastic for getting the good bacteria up and running. Found it on Amazon for a pretty good price: http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-N ... e+and+only

High ammonia levels can also be due to overfeeding, overstocking, and dead fish hiding in the tank. Make sure that isn't part of your problem either.