First World Black Shark Problems

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Angry Loach

First World Black Shark Problems

Post by The Angry Loach » Fri May 09, 2014 1:59 am

My black shark and my golden algae eater are always arguing. This is mostly the algae eater's aggressive behavior causing the scraps. Weirdly, he's not after slime coat, he's using his head as a battering ram to wail on him. The Black shark is a little big to be moved into any of my other tanks and the algae eater doesn't make nice with the gold fish in the 30 gal. For now, i could move algae eater into a 10gal and he'd still have room, but i find solitary living conditions do not do well for any living creature. I wanted to know if you guys could think of anything better to do with these two. It wouldn't be an issue if my black shark wasn't being hurt, but he is. And he's a big dummy, so when he's frightened, he runs into things and gets himself hurt pretty bad. Today they've been just fine with no bickering, but i don't know how long the peace will last. Any suggestions at this point are good suggestions, but re-homing is not an option.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Diana

Re: First World Black Shark Problems

Post by Diana » Sat May 17, 2014 11:11 am

The Chinese Algae Eater (any color) gets aggressive as it matures. The only way to keep the peace is to separate these fish. A larger tank than a 10 for the CAE, and some durable tank mates.
A few years back I heard of one CAE that could only be kept with mid-level aggressive Rift Lake Cichlids. Only the Cichlids had enough moxie to stand up to the CAE and let him know to back off.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

The Angry Loach

Re: First World Black Shark Problems

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat May 17, 2014 10:40 pm

I figured separation was the only option. There is the 30 gal, but he picks on the gold fish. Total pain. The new, larger tank should be on it's way and we can try expanded territories for a while. I will keep this updated.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD