Has anyone ever kept a betta with neon tetras?

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Direwolf82

Has anyone ever kept a betta with neon tetras?

Post by Direwolf82 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 pm

I have a ten gallon heavy planted tank with four oto cats and nine neon tetras and now we have two bettas in bowls. I would love to set up a tank for them, partitioned with black acrylic so they couldn't see each other, but things being what they are another tank is out of the question for now. I would like to put one betta in the ten with the cats and neons but don't know if the bettas would kill the neons or the neons would shred the bettas fins. Anyone have first hand experience with them together please let me know.
Tanks in advance

Aelfrostt

Re: Has anyone ever kept a betta with neon tetras?

Post by Aelfrostt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:55 am

I have had a betta in a tank with neons, but it was a 50 gallon. No issues with fighting.
6 botia kubotai
6 yoyo's
10 barbs
90 gallon

Diana

Re: Has anyone ever kept a betta with neon tetras?

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Bettas have individual personalities.
Try it. If you find the Betta is attacking them, or they are attacking him, the remove him and see if the other one would work.
Don't bother with a divider. When I tried it one of them kept jumping over or something. I would find the 2 of them on one side, glaring at each other.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!