Fluval Fx 6

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Fluval Fx 6

Postby Oval291 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 am

Quick question, has anyone here used an Fluval FX6 on a sand substrate. If so do you have any issues with sand in the impeller?
Oval291

Re: Fluval Fx 6

Postby Diana » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 am

I have not specifically used the FX6, but I have used several different models of canisters from several companies (Fluval, Ehiem and Rena Filstar) and HOBs from several others.
As long as the intake is not too low sand does not get up into the filter.
If you have fish that dig, then you might keep the intake high enough that they won't kick up the sand that high, and put a coarse sponge over the intake.

I only had one tank where the fish rearranged the substrate that much, it had Botia kubotai, but I also had the intake quite low, so it may not have been entirely the fault of the fish. The substrate was coarser than sand, and all it did was to clog up the sponge over the intake. Other species of fish dig a lot more than these guys. Yoyos and Clown Loaches seem to dig the most, IME, but none of them can match certain Cichlids for the amount of digging they can do.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!
Diana

Postby Oval291 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks very much for your detailed reply
Oval291

Postby zenins » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 am

Putting a sponge over the intake is a good suggestion,
make sure it is rinsed and squeezed out in a pail of tank water every time you do a partial water change :)
Zenin

zenins

Return to Freshwater Forum