*Blasted whitespot*

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:53 pm

hi shari
andy aka piggy4 was the first to find this cure, i can't add much info towards the disease except that we know it's a quick result.
when andy gets back on he might be able to tell a bit more.
this is to ashleigh you keep on thinking it's ich but as youve seen it's decimated your fish, you might not feel the pain but i'm bloody sure your fish did before they died.
please try this cure if it does,nt work have a go back at me.
and we still think it's so similar to ich that people don't know what they are actually dealing with.

sorry mods if you think this is harsh , take this post off.

mick

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Protozin is one of the best whitespot treatments on the market and is what I would usually recommend as first choice. However, if this is a more virulent strain, sadly I don't think it did anything to help Mad Duff's fish a while back. For the usual strain, it works well, but as Mick has said it may be something else altogether.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mvigor

Post by mvigor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:15 pm

I will not believe that salt at that low of a level killed any of your fish. By the time I had treated my 5 clown loaches, 21 neon tetra and 8 swordtails at 2 teaspoons per gallon for 12 days and then began reducing the salt concentration through 30% water changes my aquarium ended up being at YOUR level of 1T per 5 gallons for at least 3 weeks, maybe closer to 4.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:20 am

Mick I am not disregarding the treatment you suggested; it was just not avaliable to me. I managed to get hold of some today, 3hr drive, got enough to treat tank for a week or so; lfs here is getting this in this Thur so if I need more if will be at hand, hope the amount I got was enough to get rid of this.
Part of this looks like actual whitespot (which is why I was so sure this is what it was; please excuse my arrogance) on some fish, yet on others it is starting to appear like velvet :? One clown loach has what one would describe as ich, and the same with one tetra, one clown has what would be described as velvet; spots are about a quarter the size of that on other fish, has the gold sheen and is coating the fish.
No more deaths since the last (salt was removed by half yesterday morning) and treatment with interpet just started an hr ago. I assume I can run the UV with this treatment? I hope this gets rid of whatever this is. Still cannot figure how it managed to get into the tank in the first place apart from the live foods.

Ashleigh

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 am

ashleigh mate, sorry for being a bit blunt, but as soon as i saw your pic of the clown i knew you had the dreaded lurgy.
i can't see the UV being any trouble but a good question to ask.
as to where it came from, this is only an idea bud, if the fish had this before you got them it does seem to appear again for no apparent reason but is far easier to get rid of then.

mick

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:32 am

UV does break down some meds.
Without knowing the active ingredient(s) in interpet 7 it is impossible to say if a UV is OK with this medicine.
Does the package say anything about turning off UV when you are using this medicine?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 am

no nothing about UV, only to remove carbon and zeolite.
interpet don't list what chemicals are in the solution, but i can smell formalin so that has to be one of the main ingredients.

mick

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 am

Im still not convinced what this is; guess this is the problem most people are having with treating it.
Il leave the uv off for the next few days just to be safe.
Im only seeing 4 actually infected fish; the rest don't seem in to much discomfort and display no 'sheen' or spots :? The clowns out of all the loaches appear to be the only ones being 'attacked', normal???
On the plus side, one of the Yoyos that I have had for a few years has become heavily gravid :shock: what a time perfect time, she couldn't have picked better could she :roll:

If another fish happens to pass (I pray that they don't) Il be taking scrapings and have a closer look etc just incase this ever arises again :evil:

Thanks to all who again posted in; Heres to good news in the coming days

Ashleigh