S. Corica injured

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

S. Corica injured

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 pm

My S. corica I posted a while ago is not getting better. Looks like it has been beat up and it has scales pulled off. It is breathing a bit quick. I put it under the water return for the tank to keep extra oxygen in his container. I have seperated it from the rest. I will do a good water change tomorrow. I put water conditioner with slime coat helpers and a few drops of melafix. The wounds look clean. He's not eatng. I tried worms, and usually they jump all over them.

Injuries on the left side.

Any ideas how I should get him feeling better. Tanja.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Any idea about how he got hurt? I would place him in a quarantine tank that has some good hiding places. Hurt critters do not want to be out in the open like this.

If you trust Melafix, this can discourage the beginnings of bacterial infection. I have heard good and bad about it. I use it, but I suggest you get some more opinions, not just mine.

Once he has healed will he go back into the same tank?
What are the other fish in this tank? Could one (or more) of them have attacked him?
Do you think the injury was because of some sharp decoration? Plastic plants are often the cause of cuts or rips to fins, for example. And fish that are very active can scratch themselves on sharp rocks.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Hurt S.corica

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi, Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I added a few more pictures.
Diana wrote:Any idea about how he got hurt? I would place him in a quarantine tank that has some good hiding places. Hurt critters do not want to be out in the open like this.
I don't know how he got hurt, however I do have other S. corica. Emma says they are aggressive, so maybe they are. Mine have never shown aggression.

My quaratine tank is full right now. Augh!

I can put some stuff in this "fry hatcher" so he can hide. I put plants in to shield him and kept the lights off, except for the pictures, but I will figure out a better hiding solution.
If you trust Melafix, this can discourage the beginnings of bacterial infection. I have heard good and bad about it. I use it, but I suggest you get some more opinions, not just mine.
I have heard Melafix is wonderful, and I have heard it will kill everything. Augh! So I added a couple drops. I was hoping it wouldn't add addition stress. I will keep adding a little.
Once he has healed will he go back into the same tank?
What are the other fish in this tank? Could one (or more) of them have attacked him?
The only "aggressive" fish in the tank are the other two S. corica, although I have never seen any aggression. I might be able to put him in another tank. I just have to figure out which.
Do you think the injury was because of some sharp decoration? Plastic plants are often the cause of cuts or rips to fins, for example. And fish that are very active can scratch themselves on sharp rocks.
Decorations aren't sharp. But I guess the plastic plants could be a problem. I have been slowly moving to silk. I have rounded gravel, but I wonder if her he really pushed against it, if it could scrap the scales. These S. corica are not active fish. They usually stay in the same spot. They seldom move.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will try to do as many of your suggestions as I can. Tanja.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Hi Tanja,

I actually stopped importing this species as they used to show so much aggression towards one another in the stock tanks, resulting in horrible injuries. Obviously stock tanks are usually a little different to the home aquarium, but ours are furnished with plenty of decor to break up the lines of sight. However, compared to the average home tank, the stock aquariums are smaller, which is what I put the problems down to. The last time I had these in (ages ago) and once we realised what was actually going on, I separated the remaining stock into separate tanks, where all healed up and were fine (no more injuries). If I remember rightly, Graeme has observed aggression with his, but he's busy at the moment so might not be around to comment.

I would place this fish in a hospital tank and treat with Melafix, then rethink where you might be able to house him.

Good luck,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

starsplitter7

S. corica

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:34 pm

All sounds like good advice. I will certainly figure out where his new home will be. How is the aggression towards other species? Can I put him with really placid species? When they were younger, they lived with Horse Faced Loaches and Cories, and I never saw injuries on anyone.

Thanks again for the replies and advice, Tanja.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:54 pm

You might want to wait for others to chip in on this, but in my experience, the only aggression was towards their own kind. I probably wouldn't risk similar species (Schistura & Nemacheilus sp) or tiny placid species that can't defend themselves though. Wherever he ends up, you'll need to ensure that the requirement for brook type conditions is met. If, (once he has healed) this isn't an option, maybe you can take him back to a reputable lfs for rehoming, or even another loach keeper in your area?

Good luck, I hope it all works out. :wink:

Emma

The-Lion

Post by The-Lion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:48 am

I have had six Corica for over a year now, I do seem to have been fortunate in that I haven’t actually witnessed any really spiteful aggression.
Having heeded the advice given when I first brought the fish, I gave them their own individual caves right from the get go. There were the expected tussles while they sorted out whose cave belongs to whom, but that seems about it. Now they sit in the entrance of their caves kind of like little guard dogs. Occasionally a fish will go exploring, which can lead to a skirmish when it checks out another’s cave but it is over very quickly usually the original occupant will keep hold of the cave.
Mine have Devario shanensis for company but I’ve never kept them with any other similar type fish, the way they defend their space leads me to think they would be aggressive to other bottom dwelling species who share the same need for cover.
So if you can cure your fishes wounds, (melafix usually does the trick if I just an injury) I don’t see why it couldn’t return to the same tank it came from provided all three are their own cave to chill out in.

starsplitter7

S. corica

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:37 am

I have just realized something. When I introduced these fish, I had many caves for them to inhabit. I didn't have any problems. I've had them about a year without a problem.

Recently I had an ick outbreak, and I removed almost every decoration, cave, . . . anything that could harbor the ick parasite, to make cleaning and treatment easier. I left 2 bogwood pieces and a cave for my elephant nose (with space underneath for anyone wanting to hide).

I have finished treatment, but I still have my temp (82') raised for the final residue of ick. I was going to do that for another week, and then slowly lower the temp. And with this being a brook species, the higher temp reduces the oxygen, so the problems are compounded.

I can certainly add all the decorations and caves now. I can't believe that it could be something as simple as this. I have cories and eels with the S. corica, but the S. coricas don't seem interested in bothering anyone. I also never saw the injured one attacked.

The injured S. corica is still with me this morning. :)

Tanja.

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 am

the 10 corica's that i got over a week ago have not shown any aggresion towards each other, just the occasional shunt.
after reading about the decor more than the fish could be the problem as i found out with the triangularis, no hideout no aggression.
looking at the injuries, i'm not sure that the corica's were to blame.?

mick

btw what other fish reside in that tank tanja?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:36 am

Yeah, I was wondering too. That's quite a hunk out of the caudal...
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

starsplitter7

S. corica

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:46 am

Hi Mick,

Thanks for replying. I have never had problems with these guys. I feel so bad, because I worry it is my fault.
mickthefish wrote:the 10 corica's that i got over a week ago have not
shown any aggresion towards each other, just the occasional shunt.
after reading about the decor more than the fish could be the problem as i found out with the triangularis, no hideout no aggression.
looking at the injuries, i'm not sure that the corica's were to blame.?
You use no decorations to reduce aggression? They have nothing to fight over.
btw what other fish reside in that tank tanja?
Okay, here's a list of fish in the tank. They have been together since September in this tank, although they also lived together in the original tank. All fish are subadults, except the Mollies which will be traded in and the danios which stay at the top.

Peacock eels
Cory Cats (albino, spotted, panda and bandit)
Danios (Leopard, Purple, and zebra)
Golddust Mollies
Farlowella
Common pleco
Banjo Catfish (stay under the sand)
Croaking catfish (stay under the sand)
2" Botia dario (Chase each other a bit, but leave the other fish alone)
1.5-2" Yoyos I have heard they can be aggressive, but mine are so small and slight. And have shown no aggression.

Tanja

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:22 am

the only fish that could cause that kind of damage imo is the croaker,do you know what species it is or better still a pic of the fish,
that is the only fish that comes out at night and as you said you have not seen an attack on the fish.

mick

starsplitter7

Fish

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:27 pm

mickthefish wrote:the only fish that could cause that kind of damage imo is the croaker,do you know what species it is or better still a pic of the fish,
that is the only fish that comes out at night and as you said you have not seen an attack on the fish.

mick
Hi Mick,

Thanks so much for helping me. I just lost my fish. I turned to look in my tank, and he was gone. His eyes hadn't even clouded yet. Sigh! But I would appreciate continued help, since I need to make sure my other two are safe.

She is supposed to be one of the more peaceful species. I do sit up at night and watch my fish with the lights off. She is also very small -- less than 3 inches. She is blond with a few light brown splotches.

I will work on a picture, next time she is out.

Here's pictures of my lost fish. His stomach was very bumpy. I had a tomato once that has seeds sprout inside of it, and the skin was very bumpy. This is what the fish looked like.

It makes me sad. After I took the photos, I put him in the pitcher of one of my Carnivorous Plants. I hate to think my fish die in vain. I knw there was a discussion of fish burials, and that's what I do. I can't bare to put them in the ground, so unnatural and I can't flush. So mine go in my carnivorous plants. Sort of like being an organ donor after death.

Tanja.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Sorry to hear this news, Tanja. :cry:

I know Mick hasn't witnessed any aggression with his, but everyone's situation is different. I stopped short yesterday of describing what we saw at the shop - they were literally trying to disembowel each other, which could fit with the injuries on your one's stomach area.

Emma

starsplitter7

Sigh!

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks Emma,

I will seperate the remaining two. Did they have problems with other species? I forgot if I asked you that already. I will reread the thread. The popular consensous is that they will only harm species like themselves? I am just srprised after keeping them so long. I wouldn't have kept 4 to begin with if I knew they were singular species, and didn't like each other's company. I got them and had them before I found this site.

Thank you, Tanja.