possible yoyo skin problem?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaz

possible yoyo skin problem?

Post by kaz » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi

Im a little concerned about my yoyo's. I have one 2 year old and 2 juveniles. I have been monitoring them and have noticed that they have been flashing a little more than normal. The 2 year old has what looks like scrapes on his sides from this flashing. I dont think it is Ich. Eating is normal, water tests 6.8 ph 3 kh 7gh 0 mg/l no2 approx 5 mg/l no3
I have Clowns too and they are showing no signs of distress/ problems.
Any advice very welcome
Kaz

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Flashing is often a sign of irritation. Something is causing them to itch.
The most common issues are water chemistry and external parasites.
Ich is one of the first that come to mind. Have you added anything new to the tank that might have brought in Ich? New fish are the usual suspects, plants that were on a system that included an infested tank might bring in Ich.

Water chemistry that makes them itch might be a change such as adding salt, or some other change.
Has the water company changes the composition of the tap water lately?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

kaz

Post by kaz » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 pm

i added some plants from online company...these seemed to leave a small clouds of a clear membrane style substance which i thought must have been some sort of fertilser treatment. I have managed over about 3 weeks with my water changes to get rid of it. The other fish seem fine.

the juveniles have been in the tank for 2 months or so. Im still uncertain if it was them that has brought something in with them. If they had wouldnt the clowns be showing the same signs as well as the other fish??

I have had Ich in my smaller tank and this is not it this time i dont think...

kaz

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Ich would show up sooner than 2 weeks; if hte new fish brought in Ich you would see it within a few days.
Many other things can make the fish itch. Watch them very carefully for any hint of what might be wrong. Some other parasites are slower growing, so it still might be something like that.
In the meantime continue water changes, or even do a few extra changes just in case there is some irritant in the water.
It would be a good idea to get a quarantine tank for new arrivals.
I have not heard of plants with any sort of fertilizer that looks like you are describing. I wonder what it was, and if this was the irritant?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

kaz

Post by kaz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:55 am

yes, i wonder what it was too...that was the only thing i could think about it being from (the plants i mean).

Thanks Diana for your advice.
Yes, I am having my little 30 litre tank back from my boyfriend soon, he's just about to set up a 450litre tank... big jump for him 30 - 450litre! but at least this way il get a quarantine tank for the future.

I will continue with water changes and keep an eye on the little guys.

Thanks again
Kaz