CL's are sick

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:11 am

One other point might be important. 20% water changes each week for three years may not enough, but depends on your stocking level. Using the waterchange wizard at http://www.geocities.com/chefkeithallen ... izard.html shows that with a range of likely input fish load (1 to 3 ppm per day), the nitrate level could be 29 ppm to 87 ppm (this would be bad) after three years. This also will be affected by plants in your aquarium and is thus just an estimate. Get some water tests and test for at least ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate so that you know what you are dealing with.

P.S. The wizard does not work for me with Firefox, but is fine with internet explorer.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:19 am

Yes, wizard does not work for me, also (Firefox)
However, here is just as good a one:
Test your water weekly, and do enough water changes to keep the nitrates under 20 ppm. Lower than this would be even better.
Once you have gotten a feel for what is required you might be OK backing off to once a month testing, but keep up the weekly water changes.
If the tank is having problems it might take as long as a month to resolve the problems and get it back into good condition.
This is because the fish should not be exposed to too much of a change in water chemistry at any one time.

When the tank is cycled testing for nitrate is the most important.
During cycling and whenever anything is wrong, test for ammonia and nitrite.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

chelms166

Post by chelms166 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:39 pm

sounds like a lot of good info. i know i need to get the water tested to verify where i'm at so i can figure out where to begin treatment process. right now i'm down three clowns and the toll has the probability of rising tomorrow morning. things aren't looking good. i'm really sad over this whole ordeal. i was making plans and saving money to invest in a bigger tank to house my babies, but it seems as though the plans are on the back burner while i figure things out and take care of other bills in the mean time. i'm thinking of a tribute to my lost companions in the form of a tattoo or something of the like. i think it's only fitting. my future plans for the tank will be to trade off the rest of the stock (if they do survive) and reestablish the tank from scratch. the filters will have to all be cleansed and reestablished. might just invest in a new filter like a fluval 304 or rena filter. also already thinking about new stock options, which will most definately include clowns. i love these guys and wouldn't have a tank without them.
i appreciate all the help from each of you and will try my best to save the rest of the stock, but like i said things aren't looking up for the clowns at this point.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear it's not going well chelms166. :(

A nice clown T-shirt would cost a bit less, and though only semi-permanent doesn't require you to take off any clothes to show it off.

It also leaves a bit left over for that future tank. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:28 pm

Hey, C,

How are the clowns doing?
books. gotta love em!

chelms166

Post by chelms166 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:37 pm

well, sad to say i lost five out of six. they all went within two days. the largest of the bunch, about 5-6 inches, has survived, but seems wary to venture out from behind a large piece of wood. his survival led me to the pet store today where i purchased two new little clowns and four red eye tetras that my wife loves so much. i have one of my other tanks set up in the event that they develop ill effects. i'm sad for all the loss but am happy to see at least one survivor and the new babies getting along just fine. :D
thanks again for all the help and concern. i hope that nobody else has to go through such an ordeal. i know some of you have been subject to such tragedy and now i can sadly share in your experiences. maybe a support group wouldn't hurt so much! might be a little much. take care all and see you all around the forum.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Glad to hear you saved the big one. 8)
books. gotta love em!

chelms166

Post by chelms166 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:02 am

definately shari. but now i just got the idea of letting him go to someone that would be willing to take him/her. he is looking very healthy, but is shying away from the front of the glass. he probably isn't too happy with me right now :evil: . having killed off his family! :( :cry: i feel that he just needs to be with a larger group that have some size to them. i wonder if fish get depressed? :shock:
so anywayz if there is anyone in the seattle, washington, usa area that would like to come and pick up a healthy 6" clown loach please feel free to respond here or PM me. my email is chelms166@yahoo.com. dont really feel it necessary to sell him, but i'm sure i could get at least 50 bucks for him. not bad since i got him for 8 bucks three years ago.

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 am

Edited above post to remove phone number.
My best friend is a cat.

chelms166

Post by chelms166 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:18 pm

sorry. didn't know we couldn't post our numbers here.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:35 pm

chelm--it was removed for your personal safety. Better to pass along that kind of info via PM or secure emails.
books. gotta love em!

cybermeez

Post by cybermeez » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:05 pm

chelms166 wrote:sorry. didn't know we couldn't post our numbers here.
No prob. Like Shari said it was for your safety and privacy. Check your private messages, you may have some. :wink:
My best friend is a cat.