Clown Loach with ich?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

downwiththepc27

Clown Loach with ich?

Post by downwiththepc27 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 pm

I have 3 small clown loaches (1.5-2 inches) in a 20 gallon tank. (I am planning on upgrading). Right now I only have the loaches in there, and was planning to add new fish today. However, I noticed that one of my clowns has small white spots all over him. I suspect that it is ich. I did a 50% water change but did not add the ich medication yet. I have only had the loaches for a week, so they do not come out much yet, so I don't have a picture. Advice? What should I do? Also, what is the best way to treat for intestinal parasites? Help!

Illsavemyself

Post by Illsavemyself » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:18 pm

It does sound like you do have an ich outbreak.

Check this link here

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

Given that you only have clowns in there at the moment I would personally go for the heat only treatment. They should not have any trouble taking a temperature of around 31C for the 10 day treatment period. Be sure to aeriate the water very well though as water does not hold oxygen well at higher temps.

downwiththepc27

Post by downwiththepc27 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks. So far only one has the white spots. With the heat treatment, do you think think I should do any more water changes than normal during the 10 day treatment period? Also, will the splash from a small hang on the side filter aerate the water enough (with the level lowered) or will I need an aeration stone?

Illsavemyself

Post by Illsavemyself » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm

I would get an airstone in there as well if you can. Anything that ripples the surface or even better causes some splash is good. An extra water change should help aeriate the water but no real need to do to much extra, especially if this might stress the loaches more or upset the biological balance of the tank.

Just remember to raise the temperature slowly, no more than 1 - 1 1/2 degress every couple of hours. When you come to reduce the temp after 10 days do so over a longer period of time.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Ich has some forms that can handle higher temperatures than the fish.
Heat alone used to kill Ich, but now it is questionable.

Best is to do a lot more water changes that emphasize gravel vacs. (daily or every other day) As the Ich organism falls off the fish the gravel vacs will remove it, so there are fewer to re-infest the fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

downwiththepc27

Post by downwiththepc27 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 pm

With the gravel vacuum I will need to remove/uproot my plants every time I use it right? What do you do with your plants/decorations when you use gravel vacuums?

Glostik

Post by Glostik » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:09 pm

I had a small ich outbreak in my clown tank. Ive used the heat only treatment for years with 100% success rate. Haven't lost a clown yet.

Im on the 5th day of my temp being at 90 degrees and all the ich dots are gone.

One note, I also run a UV filter to kill off the free floating ich.
400G Loach Tank - 150G Sump
150G Loach Tank - 37G Sump
75G Planted Shrimp Tank
20G x 2 - Planted Shrimp Tanks
10G Quarantine

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:38 am

Ich does not burrow into the substrate. In a planted tank with fine substrate the Ich will be on the surface of the substrate. Just barely disturbing the surface of the substrate is enough to get the Ich vacuumed up. There are smaller, narrower gravel vacs available that will reach in between the plants easier.

UV is a great addition to the treatment.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!