Aquarium Salt

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Beanbog123

Aquarium Salt

Post by Beanbog123 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:37 pm

I was wondering if it is safe to use aquarium salt with yo yo loaches and clown loaches because i have read that aquarium salt will cause scaleless fishes skin to start burning I was going to add it to reduce stress. Any answers will be appreciated.

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:33 pm

I have a little bit of experience with aquarium salt but not for stress but to treat ich. I didn't use the full dose and mine appeared to be ok, but please dont take my word for it and wait until the more experienced posters write back.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Never use aquarium salt in a freshwater tank. It is usually full of impurities and you don't know what it's adding to the water.

If you need to use salt, then use a food grade salt, like kosher salt or canning salt.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

I should also add that adding and removing salt from the water column needs to be done with great care. Adding or removing it too quickly can cause osmotic shock to the fish. Water Changes should be small and very slow, like 20% or less.
Sick or recovering fish don't deal well with osmotic changes. If fish are weak, the water changes will make them weaker, and may eventually kill the fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:11 am

Before you add salt to a fresh water aquarium look up the post here by Dutch about fish and stress, then go do plenty of research about Total Dissolved Solids, Osmotic regulation and related issues.

I do not add salt to any of my tanks except the quarantine tanks, and then ONLY if the store salted their tanks. I make the Q-tank match, then gradually reduce the salt over a period of a month or so.

If I need salt I use anything from table salt to Kosher salt, but I do not think I have any "Aquarium salt" any more.

I would NOT add salt to a fresh water system unless there was a specific medicinal reason. Absolutely not "Just because", and never long term.
For fresh water fish salt is like a medicine: It has its uses, but can also be detrimental to them. You need to weigh the benefits vs. the negatives and decide if the risks are worth it.
Fish from soft water generally do not do well with salt. Specifically Loaches are a group that cannot handle it well. Short term, specific use, then it is removed can be handled, but there may be other products that are less stressful than salt to achieve the purpose.

Will your fish be undergoing some stressful event soon, such as moving?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!