Flaggelates in Clowns

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

clothahump

Flaggelates in Clowns

Post by clothahump » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:36 am

I have 27 Clowns in a 6 foot tank with 4 large Leptobarbus, due to being busy the last few weeks I have neglected them, usually just throw in some food and move on to my next job.
I noticed last night that a few of them have what appears to be Flaggelates breaking through the skin and one or two have white patches similar to onset of fungus.
The only thing I have here that might be of use is 100mg capsules of Doxycycline, question is how much do I use?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:45 am

Could you tell us how many gallons your tank is and where you live?

I am unfamiliar with the product. Sorry, can't help you there. Can you post a picture?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:05 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycycline

It is an antibiotic, and while it may help if some secondary infection is getting started (Maybe the 'fungus' is really Flavobacteria columnaris) it will do nothing against the parasites.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html

Scroll down for some dosing information about Doxycycline.

Elsewhere at fishfarmacy is parasite treatment information.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

clothahump

Post by clothahump » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:03 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Could you tell us how many gallons your tank is and where you live?

I am unfamiliar with the product. Sorry, can't help you there. Can you post a picture?
150 Imperial Gallon and I live in Dorset.UK.
Quite how that information will help with dosage is beyond Me. :roll:

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:59 pm

pics can tell a thousand words.

Frequent small water changes is the best cure for the water quality problems your having.

clothahump

Post by clothahump » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:06 pm

I have been keeping fish for 40 Years, all I want to know is the rough idea of a Dosage.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:23 pm

clothahump wrote:
starsplitter7 wrote:Could you tell us how many gallons your tank is and where you live?

150 Imperial Gallon and I live in Dorset.UK.
Quite how that information will help with dosage is beyond Me. :roll:
Just routine questions I ask. Also since I am unfamiliar with the product you mentioned and whether it would help with your issue, knowing where you are from helps people advise you with other products that may treat the problem better. A picture would help the experts help identify the problem. I certainly didn't mean to offend you.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 am

clothahump wrote:I have been keeping fish for 40 Years, all I want to know is the rough idea of a Dosage.
Like Diana said, that antibiotic isn't going to help with parasites. I have a fish medication book with the dosage answer you want, but for the fishes sake, I'm not willing to help give bad advice.

Some of us would like to see pics of your fish and aquarium to get an idea of what you really need.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 40 years of fish keeping should of taught you that.