jumping (and now dead) yoyo

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

namal kamalgoda

jumping (and now dead) yoyo

Post by namal kamalgoda » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 am

This morning just before I went to work, I put on the lights in my tank to feed my loaches, to my horror I found a yoyo on the floor dead. He was very much dried up so was dead for some time. My tank is set into the wall and the front lid is rarely closed. I have had the yoyos for over an year and this guy was the smallest of the yoyo. I have had this tank for over an year and have never had any fish jump out. It didn't happen at the time of the water change as I used a gravel vac, and had to mop up the floor after. I'm at a loss to expain this. I did a 50% water change last night, and was wondering if this had anything to do with it?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 am

it could have been the water change that increased the loaches, mine do the same after a water change luckily i have cover glasses to stop the fish from jumping out.

mick

namal kamalgoda

Post by namal kamalgoda » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:26 am

thanks Mick.

This has never happened before despite regular weekly water changes. Will be more carefull next time. Covering the entire tank top will be tough as it is one very big tank 1400 litres

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:27 pm

You might not need to cover the whole top. Can you raise the sides? Add something perhaps 6 inches or a foot high? (Roughly 15-30 cm?)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!