Please Verify This Levamisole Hydrocholride

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TRDNiteLife

Please Verify This Levamisole Hydrocholride

Post by TRDNiteLife » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi, I have four Clown Loaches with one starting to lose weight rapidly. After doing much research I believe he has Skinny Loach disease. It seems everyone has been recommending the AgriLabs Levamisole. Every online vendor I tried appears to be out of stock and on manufacturer's backorder. I found this one - Image Levamisole Hydrochloride is a broad-spectrum anthelmintic and is effective against the following nematode infections in swine:Large Roundworms: (Ascaris suum). Nodular Worms: (Oesophagostomum spp.) Lungworms: (Metastrongylus spp.) Intestinal Threadworms: (Strongyloides ransomi.) For use in drinking water.

http://www.vetmeddirect.com/Levamisole- ... medium=cpc

Same thing, right? Levamisole is levamisole. I'm just being overly cautious, but I've never used it before. Thanks in advance.
72 Gallon Bowfront Community Tank

46 Gallon Bowfront African Cichlid Tank

10 Gallon Dwarf Puffer Tank

6 Gallon Bowfront Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:07 am

That is the one I use.
Sold as a sheep wormer.
Read the fine print, mine says:
Each tablet contains .184 grams of levamisole hydrochloride activity.
I grind these and separate into small piles (feeling like a druggie might, I suppose, with my razor blade...) then put each dose in a coffee filter paper rubber banded closed.
To add it to the tank (I only use one tank for medications, with a filter that is easily accessable ) I set it in the place where the water is flowing through the filter.

To get 2 mg active ingredient per liter (Thanks to Sharie's article) of tank water I figured that one tablet = 62 liters.

The math:

.184 grams = 184 miligrams.
184 divided by 2 = 62 liters.

Tanks are often measured in gallons. There are approximately 4 liters in one gallon.
The American gallon is a bit smaller, there is closer to 3.8 liters per American gallon.
The Imperial gallon is larger, there is something closer to 4.5 liters in an Imperial gallon.
Remember also that whatever the tank is called (10 gallon, 45 gallon...) may not really be how much water is in there.
Measure the inside of the tank in whatever units you want, then subtract as much as 10% if you have deep substrate or a lot of large rocks as decorations.

If you measure it all in inches:
L x W x H divided by 231 = American gallons
If you measured it all in feet (no inches)
L x W x H x 7.5 = American gallons.

Example:
42" long, 16" wide, 15" deep =
42" x 16" x 15" = 10,080 cubic inches, then divide by 231 = 43.6 gallons.
OR
3.5' x 1.33' x 1.25' = 5.9 cubic feet, then x 7.5 = 43.6 gallons.

Subtract something for decoration (unless it is a bare bones tank), this one might have closer to 40 gallons in it. If you have a large filter or sump this has to be counted as volume that you are medicating, too.

40 American gallons x 3.8 liters per gallon = 152 liters
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

TRDNiteLife

Post by TRDNiteLife » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, Diana. It seems absolutely EVERYBODY online is out of Levamisole stock...

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Did you try all the online stores that google has?

http://www.google.com/products?q=Levami ... tnG=Search

TRDNiteLife

Post by TRDNiteLife » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:30 pm

chefkeith wrote:Did you try all the online stores that google has?

http://www.google.com/products?q=Levami ... tnG=Search
I checked all the reputable vendors. I did check two of those listed. I didn't check Jedds (via Yahoo shopping) because I didn't want to spend that much.

I called Tractor Supply Co and the customer rep said they had enough for my order (1). Their web site said it was not available, but she said their system showed it in stock. I guess we'll see if they call and give me the backorder message.