Clown loach jumped out of tank!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ey

Clown loach jumped out of tank!

Post by ey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 pm

I was feeding the clowns this evening and as usual, they all gathered at the top of the tank and were making loud noises while snacking on frozen bloodworms. Quite often, they would splash the water out of the tank an onto the floor, but tonight one of the baby clowns (5cm) was so excited about the bloodworms it completely jumped out of the tank!

I was surprised as the water level was a good 12cm gap from the top of the tank. I immediately tried to get it in my hand to put it back in the tank, but its spine cut me so I tried again, this time with a net. It jumped all over the floor making it quite difficult to catch, it took around 15-20 seconds all up to get it back in the tank, it looked stressed for about 5-10 minutes but looked and acted normal again afterwards.

I was just wondering if there is anything I need to do since this happened? The problem is I can't distinguish the baby clown that jumped out and his 8 other baby clown mates as they all look the same so it's going to be hard to find him again tomorrow to see how he is doing.

I've read that loaches are prone to jumping, but this is the first time I have experienced this. I'll consider lowering the water level even more from now on.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:38 pm

As long as water quality is kept up to prevent any secondary infection from any damage it may have sustained it should be fine to leave as it.

Ashleigh

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 pm

I wouldn't drop your water level any more as this could have a knock effect elsewhere in the tank, rather adjust the lid or cover so that it cannot happen (or the risk is greatly reduced) again.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

Gary Stanton

Post by Gary Stanton » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Mine go crazy at feeding time and I am real careful to NEVER leave to top open. These guys are rambunctious! Most fish will jump out of the smallest crack if given a chance.
"Beware of the fish people, they are the true enemy."
-- Frank Zappa, speech to a pro-choice rally in Los Angeles around 1989-90

ey

Post by ey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I checked up on all the baby clowns all appear to be healthy and actively looking for food.

I asked the LFS and they said loaches should be able to do OK if out of the water for a minute or two provided they didn't sustain and damage.

Ashleigh, I will keep a tab on the water quality today and again over the weekend when I do a water change.

Doc, I'll slide the lid just enough to put food in instead of taking the whole lid off from now on, this reduces the chance of them jumping out again!

In the past, I have sometimes left the lid open during feeding and forget to place the lid back on, but will be sure not to do this again.