Protazol ?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Petz

Protazol ?

Post by Petz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:54 am

Hi everybody

I have big problems with a sort of Ich after i put yoyo loaches in my main tank 800 L ( even after quarantining them for 3 weeks !) :(
All my big clown loaches are still covered with Ich after a week treatment with Esha Exit in combination with Esha 2000 ( Always made good experience in the past with this combination. I also raised the temperature and put in some strong aeration as well. But so far no real good results.
So this morning i went too my local fisch store and asked them what to do.
They told me to use Sera Protazol :? As in the past for the last years i had never problems with diseases i am very squittish in putting some unknown medics in my tank as i know that loaches are sensibel. So my question is what do jou think about it ?
I hope they will recover they took such long time in growing big.

Thanks
Patrick
honorem et fortitudinem

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm not familiar with those ich treatments or with what the main ingredients are. If the main ingredients can interact with each other, add activated carbon to the filters, do about 3- 25% water changes, then take the carbon out, and re-medicate the tank with the new ich medicine.

Sorry to hear that the 3 week quarantining didn't work. You got very unlucky with this ich breakout.

I always recommend prophylactic ich treatments for new fish that are in quarantine for this very reason. Take luck out of the equation.

Petz

Thanks

Post by Petz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:34 am

Helllo Chefkeith

Thanks for jour advice. :) Yes i was very unlucky with this guys. It has been a long time ago i introduced a new species into my tank.
A few months ago i was able to reproduce Puntius Filamentosa in my main tank and now there are swimming 12 little fellows of nearly 5-6cm in the tank. The adults , one male and two females are real stunning fish. They are about 15-18 cm long.
They are not so much affected by ich as the loaches.
Anyway i will do my very best to save them all.

Patrick
honorem et fortitudinem

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:48 am

http://www.sera-usa.com/product.php?pro ... 404&page=1
Don't know if you have this info yet? It may be helpful.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:32 am

Keep looking around here at Loaches. There is another problem that looks like Ich, white spots, but is not Ich, and does not respond to Ich medicines. The difference seems to be the way the spots are located on the fish. With real Ich the spots are all over, and no particular pattern. With the "Not-Ich" the spots are more evenly distributed on the fish.

Another part of the Ich treatment ought to include plenty of gravel vacuuming. One portion of the Ich life cycle includes a few days off the fish, lying on the floor of the tank. Daily or every other day vacuuming can remove many of these, leaving fewer to re-infect the fish.

There have been seen some more virulent strains of Ich. I do not know if they are present in Europe, yet, they were noticed in Florida several years ago. Florida has a lot of fish hatcheries, and a lot of tropical fish are bred there. For this reason I would push any medications to as close to their full dose as the fish can handle, in the hopes of stopping Ich as fast as possible.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Petz

Protazol

Post by Petz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:53 am

Oops that sounds not very good :? Well this morning the clowns restarted to eat a few wafers but there are still some of them who have signs of "ich". The funny thing is that all the other fish show their absolut normal behaviour the Puntius even started to parade. I think they will soon spawn again :roll: Annyway this kind of "ich" seems to be rather very virulent for loaches and the battle is not over yet. I´m getting crazy because i love them so much and i could not bare to loose them.
Well thanks Diana for your advice and light a candle for my clowns :)

greetings to Amerika
Patrick
honorem et fortitudinem