need help with disease identification

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

yoavbz

need help with disease identification

Post by yoavbz » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:43 am

Hi,

I've got 15 clowns ranging from small to 20cm+, 4 Pakistani loach and 40 Tiger Barbs in a 500 liter tank.
Few months ago one of the clowns lost some scales, shortly after it another clown lost some scales too.
It appeared that the scales are growing back but than one of them lost more scales and looked bruised.
This situation continued for at least two months, they ate regularly and looked very happy...
about two weeks ago I noticed that some clowns developed ich, shortly after it I saw that many clowns got dialated pupils.
I started ich treatment with Punktol (http://www.aquaristic.net/jbl-punktol.html?lang=1).
After 4 circles the ich got much better but the scale lost, Dialted pupils got worse.
Also some loaches developed clouded eyes.
I went for broad range treatment with ParaGuard (http://www.seachem.com/products/product ... Guard.html).
On the 5th day of ParaGuard their is no ich, the scales looks a bit better ( I guess recovering scales is a long process) BUT - no change with the pupils situation.
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, happy eating loaches...

What do you recommend ? continue with ParaGuard? switch to antibiotics? anythig elese?

Thanks,

Yoav

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:19 pm

what is your nitrate reading? what is your water change routine like? any other information that you can give us?

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Hi yoavbz, welcome to Loaches,
Did the dilated pupils start after the Ich medication? Perhaps as a reaction to the meds?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

yoavbz

Post by yoavbz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:50 am

I don't do nitrate readings as a common practice, the few times I checked it was low.
About 15-20% per two weeks.
I introduced new mangrove roots few months ago, they were boiled but could they be the reason?
No, the situation with the pupils began before the medication, I had good experience with punktol before - no side effects.

Thanks