Anchor worm on java loach: any experience on removing?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

LisaLe

Anchor worm on java loach: any experience on removing?

Post by LisaLe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:43 am

I would appreciate any advice. I noticed something that appeared to be an anchor worm on a newly purchased java loach (pangio oblonga) about a week ago. Treated my fish tank with Parasite Clear which contains diflubenzuron (Dimilin) 3 days ago. Maybe it worked, but obviously the worm is still alive.

All recommendations say to remove a worm with forceps, but everything I have read was about koi or goldfish. The loach is so tiny comparing to a koi that I am afraid simply to tear it apart while removing the worm.
Anybody has any experience?

Thank you.

LL

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:19 am

Loaches are a lot harder to hold still than a Gold.
Here is how I did this with a Goldfish:
Soak a soft cloth in Stress Coat. Put the fish in a shallow dish with BARELY enough water to cover the fish (The Goldfish's dorsal fin was out of the water, and the fish sort of leaned at a 45* angle)
Wrap your hand around the fish with the cloth actually touching the fish.
Use tweezers to remove the parasite.
Keep the cloth over the bowl while you carry the fish back to the tank.
The water in the bowl may be very high in stress hormomes, perhaps ammonia so if you can avoid adding this to the tank that would be better.
BE CAREFUL! Loaches have spines under their eyes that are very sharp and will be used in defense.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:58 pm

I took one off a goldfish much in the same was as Diana. I added a smidge of polysporin to the wound afterwards. I appreciate your concern though on damage to such a small fish, esp if it's a juvie - I would be tempted to quarantine and research what other medication options are available.

LisaLe

Post by LisaLe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 am

Well, I have that anchor thing removed.
In addition to your very appreciated advices, I put some PP (Potassium Permanganate) solution on the worm with a cotton swab right before using tweezers. I do not know if that particularly helped, but the anchor was not so difficult to pull out. Hope, the fish will recover. It is pretty skinny comparing to other loaches, and a bit translucent against the light, but no visible wounds, so I'm crossing my fingers.
Thank you all.

SophieJaynne

Post by SophieJaynne » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 pm

How is your fish doing? I think my dojo has an anchor worn but it appears to be several thread like things coming from the base of his dorsal fin and am unsure what to do. Does this sound like anchor worm to you and do you think I should try to pull it out? (I really would prefer not to but if I have to then I will try!). I have treated with Interpet No. 2 (anti crustacean parasite) but I have just read that this can be dangerous to dojos! Panic!! Will this type of treatment get rid of the worm or would I still have to pull it?

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:24 pm

flubenol works great at getting rid of anchor worms, the initial price is a bit expensive but it works out ok as you don't use that much at a time.

mick