Cory with bump.

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lf11casey

Cory with bump.

Post by lf11casey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:08 am

One of my female cories has what appears to be a fluid filled bump on her stomach/throat area. She is also very gravid, so I'm wondering if it could be eggs, just doesn't really seem to be the right area though. I moved her to the QT tank in case it might be internal parasites. I will try and get a pic tonight or tomorrow morning for your input. If it does seem to be parasites, what would be the best treat for her.
Thanks
Casey
Water is the substance from which life is born. (Mortal Kombat)
For beneath the surface, lies the future. (SeaQuest DSV)

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:48 am

A gravid fish will have a symmetrical lump that is localized to where they store the eggs. It might be very slightly unequal but not by very much. Easiest to see when you are looking straight down on the fish. The mass of eggs would not show up so close to the head as it sounds like you are describing.

If it is a parasite that is living under the skin then I am not sure what treatment is right, but if it ever comes out of the fish I would get the fish out of the tank before it can get re-infected. The sterilize the tank.

Other possibilities: Could the fish have injured herself on a sharp rock or by sitting on the heater? These do not usually show as a swelling, though...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Ok, I got some pics, there not great, but gives you general idea of location and size.

Diana - I was thinking it could be the eco complete in the tank. Maybe she is a bit heavier from being so gravid she drags across the bottom, lol. When I took her out of the tank to get pics, I got a good look at the bump and it still looks like fluid build up.

Casey

lf11casey

Post by lf11casey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm

Well today the bump has almost completely disapeared. It's only just noticable if you look really close. I didn't treat the QT with anything just did daily 10% water changes. I'm thinking I'll wait another week and see how she is then move her back to the 20gl. I just hope it's not the eco complete that caused the problem, can't really switch that tank over to sand.
Casey