Dojo loach and goldfish with anchor worm???

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SophieJaynne

Dojo loach and goldfish with anchor worm???

Post by SophieJaynne » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi there

My son has a tank with 2 shebunkins and one weather (dojo) loach. We bought the dojo about a month ago and about a week after putting him in the tank I noticed a threadlike 'something' attached just behind his dorsal fin. I wondered if he might have damaged his dorsal fin so just kept a close eye. However, a few days later I noticed a lump appear on his body under his dorsal fin which is now quite pink in colour and the threadlike 'something' has multiplied so that it appears like porcupine spines! He seems normal in himself, very lively and enthusiastic at feeding time but he doesn't look good.

I have also noticed that one on the shebunkins is covered in what look like tiny grains of rice. This has happened really quickly. Both the goldfish and the loach are flicking and rubbing a little, but not a huge amount.

The water parameters are all fine, I do 25% water changes weekly-fortnightly, tank is not heated but is in my sons room so not particularly cold.

I have treated the tank with Interpet No. 12 (anti crustacean parasite) today at the recommended dose. I treated it about 7 hours ago and have noticed no change so far (is this too soon?).

I am pretty sure what the loach has is anchor worm, although I would appreciate a second opinion as I have never seen it before, but I have no idea what the goldfish has or if the treatment I have used is likely to heal the both of them.

Please help!

Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:58 pm

I would google images of anchor worms and see if yours looks like that.
I think Mick responded to your post in the other thread re meds.
Also check out 'fish lice' pics on google images and see if that looks like a good fit for the little grains of rice.

SophieJaynne

Post by SophieJaynne » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:40 am

I think the goldfish may have leeches although I have been unable to find a picture. Would you recommend a 3% salt dip? I have treated the water for parasites but in almost 24 hours I have not noticed any improvement. Do I need to give it more time?

Laura

Post by Laura » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Medication unfortunately isn't my strong suit. If folks aren't able to help you here, I would suggest you post with some pics hopefully over at thegab.org

There are some folks there who are very knowledgeable about goldie diseases.

Good luck.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm not sure what the tiny grains of rice could be either. I'd need to see a picture of what it looks like. Could it be ich cysts ?

SophieJaynne

Post by SophieJaynne » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:47 pm

I don't think so, althought the only time I have really seen ich up close was on my clowns a while back, so I can't be sure but I think it unlikely. Unfortunately I cannot get a pic as they are so tiny and the fish won't stay still long enough. They look like planaria, but they are all over the fish and I can't see them moving. He has become very subdued, hiding away quite alot and sitting on the bottom more than usual. Water parameters checked just now, all spot on. I have added some Polyaqua fish protector aswel as the Interpet anti crustacean parasite that I added yesterday.

Hope this helps a little.