sick loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

namal kamalgoda

sick loach

Post by namal kamalgoda » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:15 am

Hi Loachaholics
I have a problem with one of my clown loaches. It is swimming around with a hunched back, fins folded in, mouth open. The poor fellow is not eating and has shrunk to half his size. And his movements are very slow. He was fine till a week ago. I rarely see it, and only makes occasional appearances. Would any one able to help me and tell me what is wrong with it and how to treat it?
Thanks

Bitey

Post by Bitey » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Sounds like either a water quality issue or a mycobacterial infection (if it's emaciated).

Quarantine tank and quick treatment with kanamycin and erythromycin or trimethoprim sulfa is likely your only chance.

I think it'll be dead soon since it sounds like it's in dire condition and the usual outcome on this forum is death due to delayed/misinformed/incorrect treatment.

namal kamalgoda

Post by namal kamalgoda » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but the poor loach died on Saturday. Unfortunately I was not at home for 2 weeks, when it was sick, and was only sporadically seen during this time by my wife. All attempts to catch it and quarantine it by my wife were fruitless. I too only saw it once and tried to catch it but goes into hiding, and I do have a rather large 1400 litre tank. Now I have to treat the main tank.
Thanks again for your help