whats wrong with my kuhli loaches

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

perez1996

whats wrong with my kuhli loaches

Post by perez1996 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

My kuhli loaches have turned completly white......idk what is wrong with them and they have been like this for 3 days.....plez halp me
Two small tanks right now......cant wait to get bigger ones.....newbie at fish keeping

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm

I have seen other posts like this. Partial or total white, yet they seem to move around, eat...
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

perez1996

Post by perez1996 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 pm

total white and they act normal
Two small tanks right now......cant wait to get bigger ones.....newbie at fish keeping

sorce

Post by sorce » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Like Michael Jackson, Except for the acting normal!!!!
Genetically engineered "glowing fish" disgust me.

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:23 am

did the color change start in patches and then go full body, or one day did they just appear fully white? Any pigment change in the eyes? Other fish in the tank are doing fine? Any recent changes in diet, lighting, environment?
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

jadahle

Re: whats wrong with my kuhli loaches

Post by jadahle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 am

I actually was wondering the same thing. We have 5 kuhli loaches. We started with two of them, found out there needs to be a few more of them and added 3 more a couple weeks later. Our tank is a 20 gallon, established and stable. Nitrates, nitrites, etc are all where they should be. We do weekly water changes and water testing. Temp is 78 F. Tank mates are 6 glolight tetras and 5 guppies.

Last night I was up late with heart burn (I'm sure you wanted to know that!) and sat down in front of the tank for a minute. I had noticed that our loches were EXTREMELY active. They get excitable when the weather is going bad, and it was a bit colder and windier than normal last night, but not bad. I have never seen them quite as active as last night. Then I noticed that one of them was white/clear with a red stripe down the middle.

We bought all of them from the same store. Their original colors varied from a dark dark brown, to a creamy dark java color, and one with a decidedly red undertone. I believe its the one with the red undertone that has gone white. He was just as active as any of the rest of them. They did seem to be breathing a bit heavy, but this was also after doing several laps around the tank faster that I have even seen our tetras move.

This morning I haven't seen any of them yet, which is not unusual. 1 or 2 might come out during the day, but they all come out at night.

Any ideas as to why?

We haven't added anything to the tank, or done anything different in the last month.