flashing

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

emi-chan

flashing

Post by emi-chan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 am

right, this goldfish is rubbing itself along the gravel every so often and i'm wondering if poor water quality can cause itchyness for fish? i really don't think it's any disease or anything since it apparently stops when it's water is changed and it has no other visible symtoms
moo

Diana

Re: flashing

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes, the 2 parameters that seem to affect them the worst are pH and ammonia. Salt can also do this, but Golds seem able to tolerate more salt than most fresh water fish.
Also, as the nitrates rise the fish are slightly stressed, so there still may be another issue going on, but the fish gets 'itchier' when the time is getting closer for a water change.

I would do twice as many water changes, and thoroughly vacuum the gravel each time. See if that stops the itching.
Also, look really closely for external parasites, and gill parasites. Some are very small (velvet). Some are much larger, but there may be only one or two (Fish lice, Anchor worm and many more)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 pm

tested the water there and it had higher than normal nitrate. did a big water change and i'll test it again later! any suugestions for a better filter too since mine is on it's way to breakdown land?
moo

Crissyloach

Post by Crissyloach » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:09 pm

I like the aquaclears. But I am not sure how well they work for goldfish.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm

well its a 125l tank with 2 goldfish and 2 weather loaches
moo

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I always need to convert that...
125 liter is not too far off 32 (American) gallons...
For Goldfish and Weather Loaches I would use the Aquaclear 70.
Both species prefer the higher oxygen that comes with more water movement.
Aquaclears have a large volume that you can put in whatever media you want. The come with a large sponge, and some biomedia. Also some activated carbon. I keep that in case of emergency, and fill the Aquaclear with more media.

At the bottom coarse sponge (comes with the filter)
Next a sort of bonded blue and white media that is sort of a coarse floss.
Then a fine floss.
The biomedia in a mesh bag holds these down so they don't get washed into the tank.

I am running an Aquaclear 70 on a tank that is 1.25m long, .3m deep front to back and .5m tall. 4' x 1' x 21" (but there is substrate in there) 45 American gallons. The Aquaclear 70 provides a lot of surface movement (great for oxygen levels) and does a very good job of getting the debris.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 am

i shall start saving now then for a nice new filter. the one i have now is no good really and i thinks it's motor is starting to break down (i took it apart and it is showing some wear and tear) it really does struggle with debris and it's output has dropped considerably.
a new filter will be the fishies birthday present me thinks!
p.s. nitrate and ammonia levels back to normal after a big water change so thanks for all the help!
it really goes to show that fish can let you know if something is up as long as you know how to spot the signs!
moo