Slowly dying Clown Loaches

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

astex

Slowly dying Clown Loaches

Post by astex » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:41 am

Over the last few weeks I have lost 3 clowns. The first two I thought had gotten into a fight and couldn't heal. It's a fairly quick timed death after they look like the below picture.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1150204232 ... 8876320242

First they stop hiding in their holes, then the stomachs look like they had a big dinner, and the next thing I know they are dark in color, have the spots above the eye (missing flesh?) and this one has black pots below the top fin that I didn't notice on the other ones.

I have one left who has not gotten to this stage and would like to save it. Any idea on what the problem is? I have had these guys for 10 years and it's killing me to lose them. No major changes in the water, 3 filters, no measurable nitrates/nitrites/ammonia.

HELP!

Thanks,
Bridget

chefkeith

Re: Slowly dying Clown Loaches

Post by chefkeith » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:13 pm

When I see bloating and black spots on loaches, my first guess is that it's a water chemistry issue. I'm not sure what could be causing the flesh injuries.

So I'd need to know more about the water chemistry of the tank water and the tap water. Water parameters would be TDS, KH, and GH.
TDS is Total Dissolved Solids. TDS meters cost $10 - $20 on ebay. They are a good investment for fishkeepers.

Sometimes during water droughts, the water company will change the quality and chemistry of tap water so that they can keep up with the demand. I know Texas has been hit hard with drought this year. So look into that. If the tap water is in brackish conditions, you'll need to start cutting the tap water with Reverse Osmosis or Distilled Water, so that you can lower the TDS.