I need advice for treating ICK for my Dojo Loach!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jenbuggie

I need advice for treating ICK for my Dojo Loach!

Post by jenbuggie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 pm

My community tank has been hard hit with Ick recently and the product I ended up purchasing to treat it hasn't worked. I am terribly worried about my large Dojo loach who has a bad case, although, the smaller ones appear fine. I have read other threads and want to try adding salt to the water while also raising the temperature, both at a gradual rate. How much with the Dojo loaches tolerate? I really love my big fat loach and would be crushed if I am unsuccessful at treating him. Help me please if you can!

Diana

Re: I need advice for treating ICK for my Dojo Loach!

Post by Diana » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Many people at this site have had good results with Rid Ich.
A few pointers about using it:

If you use Amquel or Amquel Plus, stop using it during treatment with any dye based medicines (says so right on the Amquel label).

Do not combine meds.

Do not also use UV sterilizer with meds. The UV may break down the meds faster.

For sensitive fish (Loaches, fine scaled fish, a few others) divide the dose into 2 and dose in the AM and PM. This maintains a more stable concentration without the peak that would happen if you dosed a full days' worth at one time. You can make it even gentler by adding the dose to the tank over an hour or two.

Maintain the treatment for as long as it takes for the white spots to disappear plus several days after (at higher temperatures). Dojo Loaches are best in cooler tanks, so I would maintain the treatment for a week after the last spot disappeared.

Do as many water changes as you can. Emphasize gravel vacuuming, this is removing the Ich that has fallen to the floor of the tank. The volume of the water change does not need to be very much as long as the vacuuming is thorough.
When you do water changes keep up the dose of the medicine so there is never any time when there is an insufficient level of medication.

If you want to use salt, you can, and you can combine it with an Ultra Violet Sterilizer. But not with other meds.
I would use it at this rate:
Day 1: 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Add it slowly, by dissolving it in some water and pouring it in over several hours.
Day 2: Add another 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, same as yesterday.
Day 3: Add another 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, same as yesterday.
The total dose is now 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. When you do water changes add salt to the new water at that rate.

When you have seen no more Ich for at least a week, then begin removing the salt from the water. Do this slowly by doing regular water changes adding less and less salt spread out over a month or so.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!