PLZ help my dojo!!!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TheGoldenJodo

PLZ help my dojo!!!

Post by TheGoldenJodo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi I've been a long time reader, and just registered after being unable to find out whats wrong with my Gold Dojo, He's about 1 yr old and is the boss of his 30g community tank. One morning i woke up to see him on my carpet covered in all sorts of hair/lint so i rinsed him off and popped him back in the tank. Within a few days i noticed a sore behind his fin, and figured it was from the jump so I watched his progress and a similiar sore appeared on the other side at the same place. Now "about 2 weeks later" the 2nd sore is gone but the 1st sore grew a second lump and is appearing to get a dark center... He's still very active, and has retained his goofiness but i wanna know if he'll be okay or if i should act. I'll try to get pictures up when i figure out how

Diana

Re: PLZ help my dojo!!!

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

Well, given the history of jumping out of the tank, the sores you are seeing might be the equivalent of bruises or similar injuries sustained in the escape attempt. Swelling and broken skin suggests he may have hit this part pretty hard on his way down.

Other possibilities are that it is a coincidence or the stress of the escape triggered some other disease or something.

Here is what I think of when I see skin or shallow problems:
Flavobacteria columnaris. Looks like a fungus, in that it is grey patchy sort of skin covering, but it is not fuzzy. It is a bacteria that can also cause fin rot. I do not usually see this with open sores.
Mycobacteriosis. A very serious disease, but it can manifest as open sores on the skin, or deeper such as eroding tissue.
Aeromonas. Another bacteria, more common on Koi, but certainly capable of showing up in other species. Causes several issues, including open sores.

Since open sores may be caused by bacteria, or might attract bacteria that grow in the compromised flesh, I would treat with antibiotics, and do some really thorough tank cleaning. You can move the fish to a hospital tank for treatment. (See below)

When I think of lumps or swellings there are 2 basic categories:
Do they go away? Do they seem to be associated by timing with an accident? Then it may have been an injury. No treatment needed for a closed wound like this.
Do they stay, and gradually get bigger? Tumor or other growth. No treatment.

Here is what I would do:
1) Very thorough tank cleaning. Vacuum the floor fo the tank really well to remove all possible organic matter. Clean the filter, too. Bacteria (good and bad) may be found in organic matter, and any medicines used might latch onto this stuff instead of the disease organisms on the fish.

2) Move the fish to a hospital tank. Bare bottom. A rock or two and some weighted plastic or live plants to provide hiding places. Some live plants, drifting in the water. These will reduce the amount of light getting to the bottom of the tank so the fish feels more comfortable. (But do not go to any store that circulates fish tank water with their aquatic plant water- this could carry more diseases or parasites) A couple of bunches of anacharis would be good.

3) Begin treatment. There are 2 possible treatments that I would think about:

a) For general stress, minor wounds with no real indications of bacteria: 1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons, and UV sterilizer. Vacuum the floor of the tank daily. Feed the regular food the fish is used to. Keep the light on if the fish is OK with that, or turn it off (live plants will not survive with no light)

b) For more obvious bacterial infection, get some antibiotics made for fish. Search on line for pictures of what different diseases look like and what other symptoms might be. If you have a microscope get a scraping of the injured area and see if you can find any bacteria, and ID them.
1 teaspoon of salt per 10 gallons, if your medication says it is OK in salted water.
Follow the directions on the package for dose and duration.
Do not use UV with medicines.
Do not combine meds unless both are labeled for use the each other.
Here is a chart about bacteria ID and treatment:
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fish_d ... teria.html
Also at that site is a similar chart for Koi. Check this other chart, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!