Columnaris/Saddleback

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Columnaris/Saddleback

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:43 am

I have a friend with a cory showing classic columnaris disease symptoms of the fuzzy white saddleback. She quarantines religiously and her tanks are immaculate, so I am shocked that this has happened in her tank. The cory lives in a 125 with about 20 other cories, some bristlenoses and torpedo barbs. The fish have lived together about 6 months. This fish was in quarantine for a month and looked healthy and was in the 125 tank a month before it showed symptoms. When she first got it, she didn't realize he was missing the bottom of his tail fin. But she quarantines all fish in any case, and he looked good when added to the big tank. It is now in a 5 gallon hospital.

She treated with MinnFinn which is a strong oxidizer and neutralizer, and the fish did well with the treatment. It is eating well and swimming normally, but the saddleback doesn't appear to be going away after a couple days. I think the next course of action is to treat with the maracyn that treats gram negativebacteria. Anyone have any suggestions or advice. Anyone with experience using an oxidizer or surviving columnaris?

THanks.

Diana

Re: Columnaris/Saddleback

Post by Diana » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I have not used any oxidizing treatment for this.
Columnaris is a Gram negative bacteria, so Maracyn 2 ought to handle it. However, there is always the question of resistant bacteria, so maybe it won't work.
Also, the rixk of secondary bacteria is always there, so combining Maracyn (Erythromycin/ Gram positive bacteria) with the Maracyn 2 (Minocycline) is generally recommended.

There are some forms of this bacteria that can develop really fast, and kill the fish within a day or so of showing up.

Cories can handle salt if the level is raised slowly, and you don't go too high. This can help with the stress. If your friend wants to use salt add it at this rate:
1 teaspoon per 10 gallons each day for 3 days. This will make a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. I would not add more for a sensitive fish. Salt is OK with Maracyn and Maracyn 2.

Other antibiotics might be used. Make sure they will get absorbed into the fish's system, not just treat the surface.

I have read about treating the site of the infection with hydrogen peroxide, but I am not sure how often it needs to be done. Here are instructions based on treating Koi or Goldfish with skin infections: Remove the fish from the tank and place it in a shallow dish with water so the infected area is exposed, but most of the fish is under water. Keep the fish in the net. Pour on a few drops of hydrogen peroxide (via eye dropper). Some will land in the water, so do not keep the fish in this dish of water for longer than it takes for the hydrogen peroxide to quit bubbling. Return the fish to the tank. The trace amount of hydrogen peroxide on the fish will not be toxic in the tank. For the problem I was reading about, in Goldfish and Koi, the treatment should not be repeated. Just do it once. I do not know if it is the same, or even effective against Columnaris.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

TrebleClef84

Re: Columnaris/Saddleback

Post by TrebleClef84 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 am

Let it be known that I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but when my fish were sick a couple of weeks ago (with something else), this website helped out a lot.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html