Sick clown loach?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KatieKate

Sick clown loach?

Post by KatieKate » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:10 pm

My small clown loach is acting really strange. She will spin into things in my aquarium, the heater, other fish, the glass, the gravel, you name it. Is this normal? It seems like she's trying to scratch or something...

Diana

Re: Sick clown loach?

Post by Diana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Normally fish are pretty well aware of their surroundings, and, even if they are blind do not bump into things.
When fish deliberately bump into things they are often scratching because of some irritant. You might especially notice that the fish turn sideways and swim extra fast as they flicker by an aquarium ornament, or even the substrate. This is called Flashing. They itch, and are scratching the itch.

Parasites: Ich, Velvet, other.

Water chemistry: Most commonly Ammonia, pH problems, or salt, other things less so.

What I would do:

Research fish parasites. Look really hard for Velvet (it is hard to see) and look for larger parasites. Ich is pretty easy to see if it is on the outside of the fish, but it also gets in the gills where you cannot see it. Other parasites are even larger, but there may be only one or two, and if the fish always keeps one side away from you, and that is where the pest is hanging on, you might not see it. Catch the fish, and look at all sides, top and bottom.

Test the water with all the tests you have. If you do not have tests, then seal some water in a jar and get it tested. Often pet stores will test it for you. Get a test kit, even if it is the dip-stick type.
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
GH
KH
pH
are the most common, and the ones I would test for right now.

Please tell us more about your set up:
How long has the tank been running?
What size is the tank?
What is your water change schedule?
What other fish are in the tank?
Is it a planted tank?
Have there been any recent changes? New fish, other?

You could copy the questions in this thread and add your answers:
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16722
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!