Clown Loaches acting strage

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Danie

Clown Loaches acting strage

Post by Danie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:09 am

I have six clownloaches in a 220 liter aquarium. After I changed 25% of the water and treated the new water with AquaSafe, all the loaches just gathered in one corner of the tank for the past three days. Usually they play around the tank but I am not used to this behaviour. I have checked the pH, the temperature, etc. and everything look good to me.
I am worried because I don't want to loose them.
Please help!
Danie

Diana

Re: Clown Loaches acting strage

Post by Diana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Hiding in a corner, when they used to be all over, is not a specific symptom that points to only one problem, but rather, is a general hint that something is different or wrong without saying what it is.

A 25% water change does not sound like much, unless there was something really odd about the new water.
If all the parameters test just fine, though (comparing old results to the current tests), I do not think this is the problem. Do you have tests for GH and KH? Please post all the tests and the results, including info about what the tests were like before this water change.
How often do you do water changes, and are they normally about 25%?
Does the tap water (or whatever source you use) vary over time?

If you do not keep up with water changes then the tank water gradually changes in several ways. Then you suddenly do a water change (even as small as 25%) it can be a shock to the fish.
If the tap water comes from different sources over the course of the year the mineral content can change, and this can bother the fish.

Is Aquasafe a new dechlor for you? Have you used something different in the past?
Double check the dosage, and do some research. SOME dechlorinators have a different dosing, and may lock up oxygen when over dosed. (Fish would usually hang at the surface, though, not hide in a corner.)

Is there anything else different about the tank? New fish? New decor?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!