Khuli loach jumped

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Kwales66

Khuli loach jumped

Post by Kwales66 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi New to this group but would appreciate some advice.

My sole Khuli Loach just jumped - I was around so he was only out of the water for about 6 mins - Ive put him back in and he seems to be shaking . shivering

Any advice please ????

I know now that its best to keep more than one ( Originally bought two about 3 months ago ) but the first one jumped the first night.

I have a lid on my tank but its not Air tight i.e. about 2 mm gap around.

If he survives the night I will try and re-house him with a friends tank or maybe the pet store will have him.

Thanks

Diana

Re: Khuli loach jumped

Post by Diana » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm

It is not the flight through the air, it is the sudden stop.
The fish's gills and internal organs get compressed by the crash landing.
If they can survive, they may need help breathing for several hours. With larger fish, the fish keeper can hold them, and gently 'swim' them around the tank. If the fish will open his mouth, then water may flow over the gills.
For really small fish this gets hard to do, so putting the fish in a breeders net with some floating plants may help.
The breeder net is near the surface of the water, so the water has higher oxygen levels, and the plants add more oxygen as well as a feeling of security. The mesh of the breeding net allows some water flow with the rest of the tank so ammonia does not build up.

If there has been internal damage the fish may not survive.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

monicalovefish

Post by monicalovefish » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I had a khuli loach who dove out of the tank while I was working on some of my plants. I didn't realize it until I looked down and spotted him in what looked like half a teaspoon of water that was in the corner of a bucket. He must have fallen at least four to five feet from the top of the tank to the bucket. Amazingly, he survived and still lives to this day. I went through some pretty scary moments but now, I'm glad he made it into his pool (not that it was much of a pool).

I'll cross my fingers that yours makes it as well. :) I do love my khuli loaches.

Monica

Kwales66

Post by Kwales66 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:40 am

Thanks Monica - Glad yours is ok - This one that jumped still appears to be ok but a bit more timid than usual - Maybe it learned a lesson :o)

monicalovefish

Post by monicalovefish » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm always amazed at what they do. Mine love my Carolina Cabomba plants and tend to climb them. It's pretty funny. I've found them in the oddest places. I did discover that raising up my intake reduced the number that hid in my filter (always paranoid) and getting a deeper tank helped. I think they tend to relax more with all my plant coverage so I don't see them frantic...just enjoying their homey tank full of plants. :)

Monica