Sick Pangio Kuhli or just skin problem?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MyCoolKuhlis

Sick Pangio Kuhli or just skin problem?

Post by MyCoolKuhlis » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

I am completely new to fish keeping. Joined this forum specifically to ask this question and hope that you folks will be able to help with any future questions about my most loved fishes....the pangio kuhli loaches.

One of the loaches appears to either by sick or have some sort of skin problem. I think, but not sure, he is the only one with this problem.

It appears that all along the bottom of his belly, there is a lighter color skin. Reminds me of when we humans put talcum powder on. But it IS NOT SPOTTY, NOT FUZZY, NOT RAISED or SWOLLEN in anyway. Just looks like his coloring has been rubbed or worn off! This loach is new to my tank, only 2 weeks, and was previously the only loach in a 10 gallon tank with two cichlids. His previous tank had small, sharp gravel for substrate. So at first was thinking maybe his different skin coloring might be because the sharp rocks were not comfortable for him and well sort of rubbed off his skin....like we might have a callous on our hands or feet from rough work.

So I am pretty sure he has had this from the beginning he came to me. But recently had to remove all the loaches from my main tank to treat Ick in other fish. None of the loaches showed any signs of Ick in the form of spots like other fish do, but now I am starting to question if this skin problem is more than originally thought.

I can't seem to find a way to attach a photo here, so if you want a photo, please send me your email address.

Thanks so much for your help!

Diana

Re: Sick Pangio Kuhli or just skin problem?

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22812

This is what I found, no one seems to know what is going on when Kuhlies do this.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

MyCoolKuhlis

Re: Sick Pangio Kuhli or just skin problem?

Post by MyCoolKuhlis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 am

Thanks for the info. The fungus medicine recommended is worth a try anyway, regardless of it it is correct diagnosis. Too bad I can't get a decent photo of my loach to show you though. Yes, it looks similar to the top photo you provided. (The bottom photo is much too sharp white coloring and looks definitely more like a skin fungus, IMO) But no area on my loach is large like either photo. None of his areas extend into his upper half and top of his stripes. It is smaller areas but spread ALL ALONG his bottom half of striping. When look at it, it is easy to imagine he once lived in a tank with very sharp substrate and it somehow over time caused his skin coloring to "rub off" or cause callousing. But I've only started keeping fish for a month and haven't got a clue if that is even possible.