quick cure on loaches?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

littleloachlover

quick cure on loaches?

Post by littleloachlover » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:52 pm

We have a 125 gal fw comm tank that includes: 6 clown loaches, 3 small botia kubotai, 2 bala sharks, 2 silver dollars and 4 angel fish. Our 4 angels are afflicted with some unknown issue. Ive been on the angelfish forum all week discussing what the prob could be, and possible solutions. After all water quality and our keeping habits were gone through, they believe the angels have a parasite. Their slimecoat is white/grey in areas. No fuzz or other 3D aspects. 1 full dose of melafix/pimafix did nothing, so we discontinued at their advisements. We have performed daily 25 to 30 gal pwc's and continue testing. Last night, we did a non-iodized table salt bath for 15 mins on all 4 angels. They are better in appearance and no darting, but didnt eat today or yesterday. Our smokey angel, being so dark in color, is easier to see, and has the white/grey coating coming off. Its not visible on the other 3. They are recommending Quick cure. My question is as follows: Can the Quick cure be used with the loaches in the tank? We are aware of the botia sensitivity to certain meds, as we have kept fish for years. We have been very fortunate in a suprising lack of illnesses due to QT new fish, and a self admitted OCD re pwc's and vacs. We are therfore ignorant of what chemicals we can apply with our beloved loaches. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. We dont want to harm anyone else while trying to save our angels. All other inhabitants are fine in appearance, behavior and appetite. Thanks again!

Diana

Re: quick cure on loaches?

Post by Diana » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:42 pm

I would move the Angelfish to a hospital tank for treatment. You are right that Loaches are sensitive to meds that other fish seem to handle just fine. My concern is that the stress of dealing with the medicine might be just enough to allow the Loaches to get sick.

What parasite are they (the angelfish people) thinking of?
White to off-white patches sounds like Columnaris, a Gram negative bacteria.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

littleloachlover

Post by littleloachlover » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 pm

We did move the angels to a qt. They suggested all kinds of parasites; I think they have fin rot and possibly columnaris or some secondary fungal infection. Quick cure did nothing for them, so we changed to maracyn 1 and 2. The angels are doing better, but the forums are advising us to treat the main tank. The 6 clown loaches and the 3 botia kubotai are all acting and eating normally, as well as the other inhabitants. I advised on meds we have and they suggested using the kanaplex to treat the main tank. It is my opinion that medicating the 125gal would do more harm than good with no visible signs of illness. Wouldnt the loaches inform us if the tank and the other inhabitants were sick? I understand their sensitivity to things. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks for replying.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Fin rot is a problem that may be caused by any of several bacteria, including Flavobacterium columnare. Antibiotics and a very clean tank (lowest possible nitrates) is the best approach.
Columnaris is a Gram negative bacteria (Flavobacterium columnare) that is sensitive to most fish safe antibiotics, but there are several strains of this, one can kill the fish within 24 hours of noticing a problem. It usually shows up as flat grey to white areas on the fish, body or fins. Common is a batch over the dorsal area, which gives this disease another common name, Saddle Disease. It can become somewhat fluffy, but not the same as true fungus invasion, but may be called Cotton Wool Disease.
Fungi are more often NOT the first problem, but they move in on compromised tissue, perhaps injured in a fight, or invaded by bacteria. Often shows up a small, fuzzy white area that grows. The fungus can pick up dirt from the tank an no longer look quite so white and fluffy. It is common in fin rot that the tender tissue between the rays rots first, leaving the rays sticking out, rotting more slowly. Each ray might be tipped with some fungus, looking like a miniature cotton swab.

Most often healthy fish have a good immune system and are capable of fighting off the bacteria and fungi that are all around us and them. If the fish are not showing symptoms, I would not treat. You could run a UV sterilizer on that tank.

Many medications will attach to almost any sort of organic matter they encounter, including tank debris. This is why it is VERY important to THOROUGHLY vacuum a tank before starting treatment, and clean the filter.
Many medicines are sensitive to light. Tank lights might be on or off (read the medication label) but do not combine ultraviolet sterilizers with any medication. Even a medicine that is not very light sensitive might get broken down by the UV.
Many meds can be cleared from the tank with fresh activated carbon. I would remove carbon from the filter, not just rely on it being old. I have no idea if other chemical media can remove meds, so just in case remove Purigen, Zeolite and all other similar products. Even peat moss and ion exchange resins.

Medicines that are dye based (more often Ich medicines) cannot be used with Amquel dechlorinators. Read the Amquel label for more info.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!