Crawdad help

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Crawdad help

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I have a beautiful male blue crawdad, who has lived with me over a year. He has always been stunning and a good companion.

Today when I was changing his water, I noticed he broke the bottoms of both his main claws and they have a bloody stump. Ouch! I have moved him to a new tank with clean water and his hiding place. He lives alone with three nerites, so no one hurt him. I am very worried about him. He is acting completely normal, his color is good. He eats well. Luckily he eats with his back claws, but I am wondering, if there is anything I can do to make him feel better? I know when he sheds he will get his claws back. I added calcium to his water to help him grow and build a stronger skeleton. Could I add a little melafix to ward against infection? Do inverts have problems with melafix?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Diana

Re: Crawdad help

Post by Diana » Sun May 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I think I would look at some sites that specialize in aquarium shrimp or other 'alternative livestock'.
Loaches is a great site, but I do not think many people keep crayfish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Diana,

I did post in a few locations. I was looking for a quick reply, because I was in a panic. He is still with me, so I take it as a good sign.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 09, 2012 9:57 pm

I can only suggest the same as for an injured fish: plenty of water changes to keep the tank as clean as possible, lowest possible nitrate. I am sure that much will be a cross-species norm.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 am

I agree. and that's exactly what I am doing.