New loaches healthy but skinny

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ali12345

New loaches healthy but skinny

Post by ali12345 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:17 am

Hi,
I have recently got another 4 clown loaches to add to my current 7. They have been in a home aquarium for at least 18 months apparently without issue. They are probably just over 3 inches but quite skinny. They have good colour and normal activity. I am pretty sure they have been well fed previously and at the moment are busy clearing out the snails in a holding tank.
Should I be concerned that they are carrying anything? My own are larger and mostly full bodied so maybe I am just being paranoid, but I would hate to introduce a problem to the tank.
Forgot to mention that they are all going in a 500 gallon tank so plenty of room for them.
Alison

Diana

Re: New loaches healthy but skinny

Post by Diana » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Just to be on the safe side I would worm them with any fish wormer, perhaps Prazi or one of the dog/cat wormers. Dog wormers can be used for fish, but there are certain ways to use them, depending on which product is available to you.

I have used some that you add to food (I make my own frozen fish food, and add wormer to some of that).
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ali12345

Re: New loaches healthy but skinny

Post by ali12345 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks but they do seem to have picked up a bit now - must be all those snails.